Canvas repair glue

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

og

Canvas repair glue

Post by og »

What type of glue would be the best for Pinz canvas repair? Although looking rubbery I am guessing that pinz canvas is some sort of vinyl or polyurethane material. Suggestions are appreciated.

OG
OG
landy

See the post below on..

Post by landy »

soft top repairs. One of the posters recommended Gorilla Glue.
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

I think i heard somebody say, patch it like a tire, depending on how big the hole is?
710M 1972
710k 1974
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

old topic...new top/repair, it's all the same
http://sdp-pinzgauer.org/html/diy_canvas_top.html

McMaster-Carr has the HH-66, listed as vinyl cement
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
og

Post by og »

I never got back to this thread, but after exhaustive testing of 5 different glues, I found that ACE Flexible Vinyl Mender works the best. And it costs
like $2.50 in local ACE Hardware store. I used patching material from
swiss army pack, texture and color matching perfectly. The back of that
material looks more like cordura, but this glue glued it perfectly. No contact
glue came even close. I even got HH-66 but never tested it. That one would probably work too, but ACE is cheaper. I closed the large openings left after I removed side antenna mounts from radio 710M.
OG
purplePinzer

Post by purplePinzer »

so last winter i put my ice scraper through the clear part of the soft top, any ideas on how to replace that?
72 710m blurple paint!
og

Post by og »

Any sailmaker or sail repair shop can do that easily. Cut the threads holding the window, remove the window, and clean the holes from thread remains. Keep the
window as it will be easier for sailmaker to cut the new one to exact size if template is available. I guess the only sticking point is that he/she might not have olive-drab colored thread. Green isn't much used on sails.
OG
man on the mule

glue

Post by man on the mule »

i have used the hh 66 to build soft door tops, fix tears, add a short flap on the rear curtain ,connect clear window material to the canvas, ect. the glue will fog the clear windows if you get sloppy, but one member of our club has used it to replace the windows in the rear top of his 712 without sewing and they have held up to 70 + mph on a trailer without signs of coming loose. make sure you have the joints where you want them because the hh 66 sort of melts the rubbery surface and once in place you had better like it because thats where its going to be forever. and also ....make sure that you have soper ventilation . the hh 66 is the most potent fume maker that ive encountered. it will make you really goofy really quick.
man on the mule. keep it real.