A taste of Pinzgauer reality

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

IwanaPinz

A taste of Pinzgauer reality

Post by IwanaPinz »

Hey guys.
All the fun and excitement of getting new tires and painting the under carriage just came to a screeching halt. :shock:
I notice that one of my axle boots (yellow, in fact all of the boots are yellow.) has a hole in it and another has what look like dry rot cracks, while another seem to have fluid pooling inside at the bottom. So that would make three out of six that need attention.
So I guess I am going to have a full time axle boot replacement experience.
Questions:
1. I assume its better, although much harder to do, to replace them with full boots.
2. Are the boots designed to keep stuff out rather that keeping stuff in?
3. Can it be driven with this sort of damage?
4. How hard is it to replace the boots? (Is this a one person job or a two person job, special tools and or facilities?)
5. Besides the boots what else should I order?

Ok that is enough for now. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Brian
1973 712M
Nothing says four wheel drive like six wheel drive.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Its not the end of the world remember its a thirty old truck. I once was worried about all the little leaks, and chased them around until they were all repaired. It wasn't until i had conversations with other pinz owners like dave d and jim. that it was put in perspective. number one is the best 2 the boots are just dust covers to keep out the major water and dust out 3 if the fluids are checked and full it sure can be driven. 5 full boots are a pain to replace thats why most repalce with the split style 5 how far do you want to take it and how deep is your pocket book. I can tell you from experience one thing will lead to another before long you've spent 10k
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Rears take about 2-3 hrs per side and fronts take a little longer and require a spring compressor. Boots wear out, split boots last a few years if installed correctly and yes, they keep the dust out and the oil in. Split boots take about 25 min to 1 hr each to install :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I've seen Pinzies with shredded axle boots that had been driven like that for years! Not mine though! Slap some split boots on, no big deal.
Protoman333

Post by Protoman333 »

youve probably had enough feedback on this but...

ive replaced mine with split boots. easy repair. a filthy dirty dirt in the eye kind of repair, but easy. the worst part is (dunh) just removing the old ones.

mine have lasted about 6 years or so now and are just now starting to show signs of weathering.
Chris
'73 710m
Heed

Post by Heed »

There was some talk in earlier posts that there was a vast quality difference in some of the split boots (kinda like the Indian-made spark plugs, etc).

I was able to pick up a factory SDP split boot that I keep in my emergency repair kit, but I have never seen it indicated on the E.I. or S.A.V. sites where their boots are from.

Can anyone chime in with where their boots were manufactured?
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!
SAM. C.

Axle Boots

Post by SAM. C. »

Hi All

Are there any step by step instructions on how to replace the yellow non-split boots anywhere? I have had a look around and cannot find any.

Cheers

Sam
eaweidner

Post by eaweidner »

I got a pair of split boots recently from SAV. I am not sure who makes them as they come in SAV packaging. They did however come with complete installation instructions. I replaced two boots 2 years ago and they have held up well. I was told that these boots were supplied by EI by the dealer I purchased the truck from. Also, for what it's worth, we experience pretty good weather extremes here in Iowa and I have been pleased with their performance.

Regards,
Eric
Eric Weidner
SE Iowa
1972 Pinzgauer 710 M
Hellfish Pinz
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

You will find the procedure in the service manual under wheel drive removal/replacement.
Once you remove the wheel drive, replace the boot and re assemble 8)
You will need a spring compressor for the front springs. Do not compress the springs to less than 10.5 inches or you may damage them.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
man on the mule

stay away from the ebay boots !

Post by man on the mule »

i bought my pinz last summer and it had three of the original yellow boots split. i got the cheep boots off of ebay and they took about three months to turn into ribbons . i guess its the material , but they seem to have instantly dry rotted. the one that i kept in a plastic bag still looks new and soft (i bought four) the others that are onthe truck can easily be torn with two fingers. now for my question..... the seal that is behind the boot that is actually supposed to seal the oil in ,is it the pain in the but to fix? is it a pull the wheel ass. just like the one piece boot? i live 9 miles from the asphalt and the road is sandy to powder dirt. i need boots probably a little more than the average bear i guess.
man on the mule. keep it real.
IwanaPinz

Post by IwanaPinz »

So the consensus is that the split boots are fine and as long as they are installed correctly they should last several years.
One post suggested that there are differences in manufactures.
From what I have read in the posts, that SAV is the best bet.

Thanks again everyone.

Brian
Nothing says four wheel drive like six wheel drive.
andy

Post by andy »

When I had the rear spring cups replaced last year by Robert Crow he put half boots on the rear axles of my Pinz. I've been worried to death after reading what's on this forum because a lot of the ranch roads have bushes and small trees growing in them. Plus I end up going down some bulldozer cuts made by the seismic crews sometimes and I am always worried the bushes and branches are going to shred the half boots, but (knock on wood) so far so good. I believe Robert got mine from SAV.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

SAV and EIC use the same manufacturer of the split boots. I am familiar with 2 aftermarket Mfg's on these boots. There is a huge difference in the durometer hardness of the materials being used in both versions. We have been pleased with the more flexible versions and have supplied these for the past 3-4 years. I have not bothered to check on the Factories price for their split boot, I would assume it is beyond reasonable when a suitable more cost effective option is currently available.

Lots of talk in the past on the split boots. Our opinion is simple, if you are going to be in the drivetrain for other maintenance/repair procedures, then replace with a single piece boot. If the sole purpose is boot replacement, use a split boot until the time comes when you will be in the drivetrain.

Cheers,

Scott Ingham
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."