Driveshaft u-joint

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

swift1223

Driveshaft u-joint

Post by swift1223 »

Does anyone have a NAPA or Aftermarket number for drive shaft u-joints? (SHAFT OFF THE TRANS)
Swifty
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

SAV has an aftermarket one in stock #SAV1000, they are $39 and change, or the original replacement(my preference) for $125 :wink:
The factory ones are serviceable while the aftermarket ones are not(no lube fitting)
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
ms1223

Post by ms1223 »

Thanks Jim, I'm suprised that the replacement is not an off the shelf part. The one I removed (no zerks) had USA stamped on it.
Swifty 72 710M
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

I have had one built by a local driveline shop here. The flanges are off of a jeep cherokee and the rest of the shaft is just normal material. The ujoints are now readily available. An initial cost layout but very serviceable/replaceable as needed. They also were able to give me a guarantee on the shaft. Still one of those less expensive fixes to go through one of the pinz dealers.
Mike
rubicon4wheeler

Post by rubicon4wheeler »

mjnims wrote:I have had one built by a local driveline shop here. The flanges are off of a jeep cherokee and the rest of the shaft is just normal material. The ujoints are now readily available. An initial cost layout but very serviceable/replaceable as needed. They also were able to give me a guarantee on the shaft. Still one of those less expensive fixes to go through one of the pinz dealers.
I thought the Cherokee's driveshaft just had yokes with U-joint straps, rather than a flange like a Pinz or a Toyota or a Suzuki. :?: :?: :?:

I will be having to get a custom driveshaft made to allow me to fit a Trail Tough "Rock Block" gear reduction box inline between the transmission and transfer case (along the lines of the Klune, but without the problems they cause) but I need to source or make a Pinz-to-Suzuki flange to make this work. If the Cherokee uses flanges that would work, then that will make my life several orders of magnitude easier! :D

From what specific Cherokee model do we source these Pinz-adaptable driveshaft flanges???
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

I will have to stop by the driveshaft shop and check with them. They did not even skip a beat when I laid the old shaft on the counter and asked if they could build me a new one, just went over to the shelf and pulled the parts like it was an everyday thing.
Mike
rubicon4wheeler

Post by rubicon4wheeler »

Yeah, building a shaft is easy. Even making a custom yoke is easy.

But making a flange is not.

Please keep us updated with any info you can get! Many, many thanks!
swift1223

Post by swift1223 »

I received my new universals from SAV yesterday. The ones with greasable zerks. There is a significant difference in quality between the two types. If you ever have to change universal joints don't waste your money on the ones that are not greasable.
Swifty