wood side rail dimensions, drawing?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

ka

Post by ka »

i thought i'd make some nice hardwood side rails for this 710m. the ones on it are redwood and too soft to torque down tight. isn't there a drawing out there somewhere?
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
Thomas-E

RE: Rails

Post by Thomas-E »

You can go to the Yahoo Pinzgauer Site....

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kFN5SCpCYI ... nsions.jpg

Listed under files.
russ

Post by russ »

Check the thread "Tried to make rub rails from Trex boards". I wrote up how to drill the holes correctly. I recommend using Trex or other composite material as it is very weather resistant.

The drilling method works for whatever you are using though. The drawing posted does not show the recess for the nut and washer that holds the rail to the body. It also does not show the shallow recess on the other side required to allow the rail to be flush to the body.

If you have an existing piece of rail it will help.
If you didn't get stuck, you didn't try hard enough.
'74 710K

1984 in 2009
ka

Post by ka »

man, i love this forum. i put a question out and the full blown disertation returns! thanks yall...
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

Pinz Enthusiast

Post by Pinz Enthusiast »

I made some from redwood a few months back, I know it's a softer wood, but at my local home depot it was the only lumber I could get in a long enough lenght and hey the cost was just right, only $18.00 each and some time with my table saw and router, I did make mine a bit beefier and like the look over the stock size.

Eric
Anaheim Hills, Ca
1973 712M
1996 LR Disco I
2003 LR Discovery SE
2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor MH
hope to get a 1969 Ford M656
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Eric, Hi can you post a close up of the beefer rub rail i'm think it would be nice with the wider tires.
ka

Post by ka »

well mine are redwood and that's why i'm wanting to replace them. way to soft to screw down tight and i have to be careful about touching them casually so i don't get splinters.
1973 710m

Douwe

Post by Douwe »

I didn't want to spend too much time or money on my new rub rails so I made them out of pressure treated wood and haven't painted them yet.

I didn't like the look of Trex in the store. I saw a board with a chunk taken out of it and it make Trex look kind of brittle. I think that wood deals better with being scraped against a rock than Trex. But what do I know.

My preferred rub rails would be make out of metal though, probably U-channel or tubular like Mike's as shown in the referenced thread.

Oh wait, you asked about dimensions. I just guestimated based on the remaining pieces of the one's I replaced, It really doesn't matter that much.
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Don't forget to use stainless fasteners to put it back together
ka

Post by ka »

i use stainless 316 at least.

i just discovered via michael712m that someone in az is making rub rails of steel that stand off from the body aways and are part of a nice rear bumper. so now i'm thinking more along that vein. maybe i'll design something stout of aluminum. should be simple.
1973 710m

krick3tt

rub rails

Post by krick3tt »

I made mine from 2 inch by 1.5 inch channel iron. I used the old wood for bolt hole pattern and used .25 inch washers to stand them off the body.
Painted them to match the OD color. Trimmed the ends like the old wood to avoid sharp ends on the metal.

Morris
710M, M416 trailer
andy

Post by andy »

ka, that might be Tim. He made a set for my 710 that I think are very nice. I think he did Mike Nims also. You might try a pm to Mike to get in touch with Tim.

I would refer you to the SWPA website, there are pictures in the classified section, but it appears to be down at the moment also.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Yeah, I am going to drop a set of rails along with some other armor in UT on my way home from the RMP treffen. Tim has built quite a few sets of side rails and I believe everyone has been happy with them. I put them to the test on many occassions and they work just fine.
Hre is my two trucks with them on it. The trucks look a little different now with the new stuff on them, just to lazy to go out and take a new picture.
Mike
ka

Post by ka »

yes! that's what mike described to me today. definitely a thoughtful design. i need.
1973 710m