Starter Problems

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

SAM. C.

Starter Problems

Post by SAM. C. »

Greetings All

I have a starter problem at the moment. When I push the button to start my starter sounds like it is free spinning and makes a whizzing noise. It then slows and stops with a dull thud. It sounds like it is engaging somehow. It is getting more regular and I want to got it sorted before it gets to the point where all it does is free spin. I am not sure if it is the starter itself or a gear with some teeth missing.

I was also wondering if it is the starter can i get it re-built or do I have to get a new one (ouch!!!).

Can anyone point me in the right direction with this one?

Cheers

Sam
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

The bendix and/or solonoid is bad,I had the same issue,it made better sense to be to get a rebuilt. It was a little over $300,but was a beautiful rebuild I think I got it at E.I.. Your issue will only get worse...
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Sam, On some of the past post Peter mentions that the bendix is pinz specific. Scott or one of the other dealers maybe your only option.
todds112

Post by todds112 »

Ah nuts! Starting to have the same problem. I hope it will get me by until spring.
1973 712M
indigoth

Post by indigoth »

i have a similar symptom, but only, only, only when it is really cold out. and I mean, "cold" like -5 degrees out.

anything warmer than about five below and it's just fine.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Classic symtoms of a bad Bendix. You should also replace the 3 bushings for the armature while it is apart. Other option is a new starter, Scott has a very good price on these at E.I. :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Same thing was happening to mine so I ordered a re-built from EI and the warrantee is the same as a new one and $90.00 cheaper.

Now if our dollar was closer :roll:

Jer Bear