Auto electric for dummies

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

critter
United States of America

Auto electric for dummies

Post by critter »

Alright guys. I will be the first to admit I am handicapped when it comes to auto electric.

Question is this-- I am hooking up some 24 volt items, interior lights, exterior off road lights. Is there a 24 volt fuse or will 12 volt fuses work?????????????

Bob
krick3tt

fuses

Post by krick3tt »

I use the same fuses in the pinz that I used in the Mog and the MB sedan (12v) the pretty colored ones. My understanding of fuses is that they are rated for amps, not volts.
Please correct me if I am wrong. ...anyone...

I ran off road lights through a separate fuse block and pulled power from the battery connection to the radio plug behind the co-drivers seat.

Morris
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Fuses are rated in amps, but designed for specific narrow voltage ranges. You can't use a 20 amp fuse used in a 7200 volt circuit for a 24 volt application as the time delay would be different and could allow damage to sensitive equipment, but this is an extreme example. Heat blows a fuse, not voltage. A 10 amp fuse used for 12 volts would be good for 5 amps 24 volts.
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Now if you really want to complicate things. The use of the 24v circuit breakers available at marine stores will work great for added 24v accessories. These circuit breakers are around $5.00 ea. I have installed them in place of the original CB's in my 712 and have had no issues. I know that Jay did it a few months before I and he has not reported any troubles. The advantage of course is not having to deal with blown fuses on the trail. The CB's come in a variety of amp ratings so you can match them to your needs.
link to breakers
http://www.seachoice.com/productdetail/ ... -17322.asp

I believe I have seen panels on their site also, for those who don't like to fabricate anything.

This is not the cleanest picture but it will give you an idea of what the breakers look like installed in the truck, for those interested.
Mike
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Water prof? Mike were did you put the extra breakers. Be hind the passenger seat?
russ

Post by russ »

Water Proof! Yeah! I have looked at many a fish through the front windshield, and they have looked back...

I will say however, that I have not had water inside the vehicle that deep, yet
If you didn't get stuck, you didn't try hard enough.
'74 710K

1984 in 2009
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

don't know how water proof these are but they do sell a boot that screws on over them to keep the water and dust out. I have had mine wet many times from using a garden hose to clean out the inside of the truck but never submerged the breakers. IMHO the best place for the fuses/CB's for accessories is behind the passenger seat, that is where all mine are.
Mike
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Thank's The only reason I asked I often forget to put the top back on and seems to rain every other day any more. If you can run a hose the should take the rain. Russ one of these days I need to make trip down there to fish. Maybe we can do it out your roof hatch. :lol:
Jimm391730
United States of America

Fuses

Post by Jimm391730 »

All automotive fuses are rated for 32 volts, so they are all suitable for the Pinz applications. Amps is amps, regardless of voltage, so choose a fuse value 30-100% greater than your expected normal current. For example, I just installed two lights with 70W bulbs (24V, of course) so the total power is 140W. Volts times amps equals watts, so 140W divided by 24V is just under 6A. In my case, I had some 9A switchable circuit breakers, but otherwise I would use a 10A fuse.

Remember, fuses are there to protect the wiring from burning up if something shorts out, so any reasonable value will work. And some devices (like lights) have very large starting currents, so a fuse that is somewhat too small can blow, even if it is rated for more than the normal currents.

Jim M.
712W and 710M
Heed

Post by Heed »

mjnims:

Did you use the the Seachoice 10, 15, or 20 amp breakers as replacements for your Pinz stock breakers?

Are you still happy with them?

(I'm looking for a winter project...figure that replacing those would be some good preventive maintenance!)

Thanks,
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

The main thing is to keep the smoke IN the wire! :lol:

Yea ,I know ..been said before,couldn't help myself. :lol:
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
hrafn

Post by hrafn »

As Mike Nims points out, the Seachoice 24v breakers are an excellent replacement and inexpensive as well.
I have had no problems with them over the last few years.

Below (left) is the new breaker (top) vs. the original breaker. The photo on the right is the finished installation.

Image Image

I had a detailed installation guide on the SDP site, but that is not currently available. The conversion
requires some care and patience (and perhaps a six pack or two of your favorite beverage), but
can be accomplished in a few hours.
Jay
W3PNZ
710K Kommandowagen
Heed

Post by Heed »

Thanks Jay!

I'll pick up some 10 amp breakers.
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!
ka

Post by ka »

10 amp is good for all the breakers? is that what stock is?
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential