mising in mississippi

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

buzzz

mising in mississippi

Post by buzzz »

had red tlakes in filter. Had a new tank made from alum. New filter, new plugs, rebuilt fuel pump, removed carbs and cleaned (they were already clean) replaced all carb gaskets. Still will not idle and has a miss while driving. what did i missssss. any help would be wonderful.

thanks,
Buzzz
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Did you change your fuel lines? Is the crankcase oil level too high? Does the new gas tank have an air-tight gas cap? (that would be bad)
RANDOM ideas....
buzzz

missing in ms

Post by buzzz »

Thanks for the reply. I used th old tank as a pattern so I us the old cap and spout as filler. Oil level is correct and new fuel lines. My machanic and myself have about scrached all the hair off our heads. He is going to check the intake manafold gaskers tomorrow. Before the fuel pump rebuild we had 3lb of pressure after we hav 6. thought that ws it but no luck. It seems to be starving for fuel, crank it drizzel in a little carb cleaner and it purs, stop the drizzle and she dies. When driving if your excelerating it runs fine, ease off and it misses. i am very confused, but i am that way most days anyway. You can tell by my spelling.
Kirby

....Things that make you say Hum?

Post by Kirby »

... Sounds like a restriction.... Maybe blow the fuel lines out? Check filter...not that one would ever be built wrong :roll: ... I know you said you had plenty of pressure, so I would check after that point.... and before while you are at it, pressure is pressure, not volumne.

Good luck and let us know.
Pinzing is AWESOME.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

You need to check #8 breaker(for cutoff solonoids) pull the float valves and look for blockage.
You stated you rebuilt the fuel pump. Many times as the pump degrades, small pieces flake off and go directly to the float valves(needle and seat).
One other area of interest would be the fuel cutoff solonoids. They can mechanically fail. I always start with clearing the jets by putting my palm over each carb with the engine running to suck any small debris from the jets and passages, AKA"Race day tune up".
Could even be a dirty connection at the Molex connector.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
buzzz

Post by buzzz »

Thanks for the replys. Kirby I failed to state it but i do seem to have plenty of volumne. Jim I will check all the items you mentioned tomorrow, and I thank everyone for the info. I think I may have jumped the gun on a 525.00 fuel tank but it looks nice with the diamond plate. I will post results tomorrow.

Thanks again
Buzzz
ka

Post by ka »

who made your tank?
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
buzzz

Post by buzzz »

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my post. Jim as always you hit the nail on the head dirty molex connection to the carb solonoids, It is now running purrrrrrfect. I think I needed the tank and the other things I did didnt hurt. Thanks for giving your know how freely to those of us who just dont know. Ka the tank was made by a local welder here in Tupelo. He used the old tank as a pattern and it fits great.

Buzzz
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Dirty connections cause a lot of intermittent problems, just remember the symptoms for next time :D
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
buzzz

Post by buzzz »

Jim I think the next time I have a flat Ill check the molex first. hee hee.

Buzzz