New Batteries (PICS added)

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

todds112

New Batteries (PICS added)

Post by todds112 »

Had to replace the batteries in the Pinz.

The original ones were shot. They were actually cracking on the tops. They were leaking acid all over. Really ate everything up. I neutralized everything with baking soda, then repainted.

I got 2 Diehard Golds at our local Kmart. $109 each with a replacement guarentee for 3.5 years. The size group 27 fit perfect. At least I won't have to worry about them for a while.

One oops, the positive lead to the battery was a bit worn. When I shoved the tray back in it touched the back wall of the box and "pop, pop, pop"! looked like the Fourth of July. Luckily there was no damage as far as I can tell. Fixed the lead and put some rubber padding on the back wall so that doesn't happen again.
1973 712M
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

As a side note, when I worked for Dennis, I would twist the pos and neg teminal sidways on customers pinzes batteries to help stop the sparks. That way the terminal is over the battery top and not hanging out the back (look at your pic) and as the battery tray bounces (a little off road) there is less chance to touch again.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Great post! Thanks to your pictures I went out and checked my OEM batteries, which were in the 710M when it arrived from Europe in 2004. Sure enough, minute cracks are starting to develop, something I had not noticed even though I check the batteries several times a year. I went to the Sears website and discovered that they offer 2 different Group 27 batteries. One is for cold climate, one is for warm (North and South), the second of which would apply to me in Southern California. 3 year replacement guarantee in case of failure, 100 month guarantee pro-rated overall, which is slightly over 8 years. Maintenance Free (you still have to keep the acid level up, I'm sure). I'm getting a pair very soon, as I don't want to get stuck somewhere because of a no-start or risk compartment damage due to acid.
todds112

Post by todds112 »

Lightningpinz wrote:As a side note, when I worked for Dennis, I would twist the pos and neg teminal sidways on customers pinzes batteries to help stop the sparks. That way the terminal is over the battery top and not hanging out the back (look at your pic) and as the battery tray bounces (a little off road) there is less chance to touch again.
Yeah that pic was pre-sparks. I angled them a bit, but the + and - terminals are opposite the factory batteries. This makes the + lead too short if you angle them out (away from center). If you angle them in too much it'll touch the hold down strap. Something else to check when doing routine maintenance/inspections.
1973 712M