Arrrgh, wheel seal needs replaced, help (ADDED MORE PICS)

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

todds112

Post by todds112 »

Jim LaGuardia wrote:There is nothing wrong with re-using that gear. I have found numerous gears with puller damage in that area that were repaired in Europe :shock:
While it may throw it out of balance a little, you will never notice it.
Now if the teeth themselves are damaged, then replacement is necessary.
I have been busy lately, or I would have reponded sooner
Mogfest at Calico is just around the corner :twisted:
I was concerned about the out of balance situation it would cause. I didn't know if it would cause damage to the bearings, etc. Actually took a few more chunks out of it after that pic was taken. About half the rim is missing on one side of the gear. I was thinking of finding a machine shop that could just take the rest of the rim off. Figured I'ld be into it for just as much as a used one. Live and learn.

Bryan, I guess it's the trade off for all the fun I've been having with her.
1973 712M
todds112

The saga continues!!

Post by todds112 »

:x This repair is going to get the best of me.

Got my parts from SAV. The used gear looks as nice as mine did before I broke it. The O-ring they sent was the wrong size (too small). I tore and bent the dang new seal putting it in. Then I discovered the bearings were bad. None of the local parts stores had either the bearing or seal in stock, of course.

What I learned in THIS installment:

Lube the seal up better when installing.
Borrow a seal installer.
Just replace the dang bearing when doing the seal.
When banging one's head on a wall, choose a soft wall.

I thought about rigging the other seals with C4, so if they start to leak it automatically detonates. :twisted:

I might get this "simple" repair done about Spring time. :roll:
1973 712M
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

Todd,
I feel for you, as I've done 2 and have more yet to do. I went crazy trying to find a shop that could pull the gear, or a suitable gear puller. I finally did obtain a puller that was close, but had to grind off part of the round head flat so that the puller teeth would go under the lip far enough. Still, the gears were a b%&@# and wouldn't budge. I put a mighty strain on the puller, then applied heet, then liberal amounts of PB Blaster. Volla, off came the gear, but I was sure it was going to take the lip off first. I also replaced the bearings while I was in there; not too expensive from EI or even NAPA.
Michael
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

I can replace the seals and bearings for a reasonable fee if you want to ship them :)
Just let me know.
Wow! just noticed this is post #1200 for me :shock:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
todds112

Post by todds112 »

Jim LaGuardia wrote:I can replace the seals and bearings for a reasonable fee if you want to ship them :)
Just let me know.
Wow! just noticed this is post #1200 for me :shock:
Wow, congrats and thanks for the 1200!

I'm about ready to ship the whole dang truck to you. I might take you up on the offer next time one fails.

On the bright side, the original gear had '86 written on it. Would be nice if this repair lasts that long.
1973 712M
todds112

Post by todds112 »

Wow, finally done with this job. What a PITA. :roll: No leaks after the test drive. The wheel didn't burst into flames or anything. Got the brakes bled and adjusted, which is all I started off to do a couple weeks ago.

Thanks for all the tips and info.
1973 712M
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

My turn for hub seals,which is the most common size seal? I know I could break it down and find out that way,but I prefer to reassemble while the tools are out. I know the other option is to let my pocketbook take the hit and order one of each...
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy