Canvas top installation

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

MB300GD

Canvas top installation

Post by MB300GD »

Greetings,

I just bought a 1974 710M today. I removed the cab canvas for cleaning and now I cannot figure out the placement of the metal hooks that hold the rubber bungie. These mount under the metal strip that holds down the canvas. I think there are 5 (or 6) screws that hold down the metal strip and only 3 metal tabs that hold the bungie

Can someone send me a pic or just tell me where to mount for the proper reinstallation of the cab canvas - thanks in advance

dbedard@merlincapital.com
MB300GD

Post by MB300GD »

Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

MB300GD wrote:
Great pic. :lol: :lol: you've got to past the img code from photo bucket or what ever photo sharing service provider you're using.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

MB300GD
You can email the pic to me, and I can try to walk you through it. It's been years since I've had a Gasser M and the Pink Cow isn't close. If need be, I can send you a pdf of the canvas and hardware tomorrow.

Dave

btw, that image is a good pic of Erick's head x ray. :wink: :lol:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Davey, he's talking about part #711.1.87.014.2 Its not real clear in the manual. And all I can remember is I put them on wrong after I had my pinz painted.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

If he's only looking at where the 2 short eyelet go, that's easy... they fit in the screw holes that is directly inline with the beltclip (footman loop) mounted on the leading edge of the rollbar. They mount on top of the canvas ( facing forward) and under the retaining rail. They are for receiving the hooks to hold the front canvas rolled up..... of course, that is if I have my decoder ring set correctly for what you're saying :roll:

Heck, I only had done that just 6 years ago on my old 712 :lol:

Mr Dave
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
MB300GD

Post by MB300GD »

I figured it out this weekend - thanks.

Does anyone have a good method for stretching the canvas top over the windshield tab mounts? I was able to get the canvas over all the metal tabs except for the very left and right front corners. It is stretched over the windshield frame but just not over the last 2 metal retaining tabs.

BTW - I replaced my pristine Mercedes 300GD cabriolet with the Pinz and I could not be happier. It is a hoot to drive - and much more comfortable than I had thought it would be.
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

If you temporarily remove the rails that are over the doors then you can flex the windshield back enough to make installation of the vinyl top very easy. Once the front loops are installed put the rails back on and do the side hooks.
Mike
krick3tt

canvas top

Post by krick3tt »

I have used a small screwdriver to pry them into position, but I rarely remove the top. I have installed items (CB and radio) under the roof and do not take it off.

Morris
MB300GD

Post by MB300GD »

I was not sure if you could flex the windscreen so your suggestion takes care of that. THX
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

of course, that is if I have my decoder ring set correctly for what you're saying
Tune in next week for the newest setting's, for under standing Erikonics. :)
f you temporarily remove the rails that are over the doors then you can flex the windshield back enough to make installation of the vinyl top very easy. Once the front loops are installed put the rails back on and do the side hooks
I was using a screw driver until this was posted the last time can't believe how easy it makes it.
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

While it is an excellent idea I can not take credit for it. I felt really stupid the first time I saw it done. My old front tops had shrunk to the point where removing them was a great chore until I was shown this method. The new tops on them now make installation so much easier.
Another great idea spread in part thanks to the forum.
Mike
MB300GD

Post by MB300GD »

It was a piece of cake once I flexed the windscreen.

New question: The Pinz has the Maloya tires - should I keep them until they die or replace them? And if you suggest replacing them - I mainly drive the Pinz on-road and the occasional off-road adventure (dirt roads with some rocks).
ka

Post by ka »

i've heard from offroad racers that the Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain is wondeful in a vast variety of situations and is 1st choice.

any opinions?
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

MB300GD wrote:It was a piece of cake once I flexed the windscreen.

New question: The Pinz has the Maloya tires - should I keep them until they die or replace them? And if you suggest replacing them - I mainly drive the Pinz on-road and the occasional off-road adventure (dirt roads with some rocks).
Not my first choice in tires (or even an option for the way I drive) but a good AT sounds like the best choice for you. Lots of people use the BFG AT tires on a variety of vehicles. If you don't do any hardcore offroading they will provide you with long life on the road and work reasonably well offroad, almost any good radial deflated slightly will work for most offroad situations.
Changing the Maloyas is considered a must. If you are driving the truck on the road, then changing to a radial will make a world of difference in the way the truck handles and feels, all for the better.
Mike