The fan Pulley came off well sort of

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Jerbearyukon

The fan Pulley came off well sort of

Post by Jerbearyukon »

I was driving back home and heard some clanging, so I pulled over :? . The bolt had worked loose off the pulley and the belt was holding it from falling out.

By the time I figured it out it had busted a piece out of the fan pulley. I have ordered the parts from EI.

Has ANYONE beside me ever had this happen :wink: .

Another thing I always seem to have a problem with is tightening the fan belt properly. It's hard to hold that tool and get the wrench on there without smaking my darn hands and I am not actually sure if I put the spacers in front or behind etc...is it just me or whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat :lol: . I try to read the manual but not being very handy at mechanics doesn't help much.

If anyone wants to video how they do it that would be great to put on you tube :) .

Actually it would be great to have a site with people putting video on there for the little fix-it things on the pinz. I learn way better by video than text and pics

My carbs are leaking so I ordered the kits from EI too...thought I might just as well fix those too along with the gasket for the oil pan.

P.S. Minus 20 today and snow - Can't wait to get her back on the road and go bow hunting for wolves and coyotes with my new SHREW LONGBOW...YEE HAW...Bison hunting on Dec 1st :D :D

Jer Bear
andy

Post by andy »

The bolt was shaking so much from the minus 20 that it came out of the hole. It was 54 F here this morning and I was wearing a jacket. -20? Not only NO, but h__l NO.

Andy

PS, i'm mechanically challenged too, so I can't really help you.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

The bolt is threaded so it should only tighten when the engine is on. Now maybee Dave has his ring on and he can translate for all to under stand :lol: :lol:
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Well I only know there was NOTHING holding it in there. SO suck me dry and call me dusty, but I would sure like to know how it happened.....bloody gremlins :wink:

Jer Bear
ka

Post by ka »

suicide?
i've known a few vehicles that were clearly self destructive. they were american.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I haven't had a pulley break,but on my little Pinz I had an issue with the inside of the pulley that goes over the shaft being rounded out. It was suppost to have 2 flat sides,a little love with the Mig and a grinder fixed that. I believe it was due to improper tightening of the large fan nut. What I've found is tighten,turn over motor,tighten,etc,3-4 times for good measure. The shims are for belt tension adjustment,if the belt is loose,shims go on the outside,if tight the shims go between the pulley halves.Just like the old VW's. As far as holding the spanner,I usually let it "push" against the belt,I often thought a piece of pipe ,ovaled,to go over the end of the spanner would provide a more solid feel to this proceedure.

Other thought ,that at minus 20,the belt is about as soft as rebar and its saying"take me to Arizona!" :lol: :lol:
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

So walk me through the belt tighteing.

You do all the first ones - bumping the engine (WITHOUT THE TOOLS RIGHT) and then use the tool last......

Hope this is it

Jer Bear
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

First tighten what you can with the tool,bump,tighten again,bump..that's all there is to it,EXCEPT I can feel my fingers! :lol: :lol: Going to be 87 today! :D

68 Haffy
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

87 wow - just a young fella eh!!!

The reason I ask is that I was told to tighten without the tool - bump - tighten - bump - tighten bump - then at the end use the tool to hold the fan

It's real hard to get that sucker to be straight...must be a better way to do this

jer Bear
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

this has happened to me i was on my way to go and have a fun fulled day of sand dune action with my 1971 710m, i was on the freeway just cruising along at top speed when i suddenly heard an awful explosion of plastic ricochet all under the engine cover i looked in my side view mirror and saw thousands of pieces of yellowish plastic strewn all over the freeway luckily there was not that much traffic i immediately pulled over to asses the damage my fan blades disintegrated, all that was left was the center ring of plastic snug in between the bolt. after examining some of the plastic pieces i picked up, I noticed how brittle the plastic was and i was wondering if this was the original plastic and it just could not take it anymore.the new one i ordered was nice and flexible and felt stronger. i put it on with the tool, me and a buddy did it i had him hold the fan tool and i crawled in and tightened the bolt
from inside i tightened the heck out of it. and its been awesome ever since.
710M 1972
710k 1974
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Saw several Pinzes with the pully half wallered out. Had several come in after the nut worked off. Your not the first.

Lost a customers fan in the parking lot on a test drive with the engine cover off. Had to go and change my underbritches as Larry calls them. Apparently the customer had a travel pack of kleenexs on the dash. That ruined my day as I had to buy a fan.
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

So why do you have to put the washers on the outside......is it just for later if you need to use them.....seems kinda stupid.....when mine came of I lost the washers the nut and the fan pulley piece and it was a bit of a bear to get new ones.

So am I the only one that doesn't seem to get these on SQUARE. when you start to tighten it it looks pathetic.

then as you start to tighten it it gets WORSE. so you bump the motor and it rounds it up..Then you tighten it and it looks better.

I still wish someone that was good at this would VIDEO the process and put it on youtube......I think it would be very helpful

Jer Bear
krick3tt

washers on the outside

Post by krick3tt »

Jer Bear,
The washers are for later. There should be four total, I think. Just like VW engines, to tighten the belt put them on the outside, to loosen (when installing a new belt) they go inside the two pulley pieces.
I had to have help removing the nut, Denis helped me when we were in Moab, took two of us to get the nut off using a huge piece of wood and a pry bar for leverage. Denis has a great box of tools, almost anything anyone could want and he carries them with him. Great guy to have on an adventure, and he knows all that mechanical stuff.

Morris
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

++++++++++ then as you start to tighten it it gets WORSE. so you bump the motor and it rounds it up..Then you tighten it and it looks better. #########

I bump,therefore I'm square!!
On my first Pinz I had a real hard time removing the bolt holding the crank pulley...Put it in gear,set the brake,everything..no go. :idea: :idea: Add 4ft extension to my 30" breaker bar,firmly plant feet against the side of the tub,(pass side), side note; I had family from out of town in back swimming,just had to do this one last thing... Well I pulled a LOT and SNAP! BANG,OWWW,F**K! :shock: The drive end shattered on the bar,extension hit me square in the forehead sending me flat on by back,good thing I had a hat on.. At that time I think I realized the Pinz won and I WANDERED to the back yard.My wife asked what I got on my hat,took it off and took a bath in my own vital red juices my hat was holding. There are many vital juices and my glass is MT,which explains this ramble :cry: (or perhaps minor brain injury)... Well anyway both items are on the FT of the engine!! OH YEA! One should be selective on what they may tape for instructional videos,I knew
there was a beginning to all this.......Things get foggy at 87...
Mark

68 Haffy
norcal pinz
United States of America

Re: The fan Pulley came off well sort of

Post by norcal pinz »

If anyone wants to video how they do it that would be great to put on you tube :) .

Actually it would be great to have a site with people putting video on there for the little fix-it things on the pinz. I learn way better by video than text and pics
hey i just had a funny idea i have all the tools and a pinzgauer half apart in my garage and a video camera if you would pay me by the hour i will take apart anything you want and put it back together and i will edit the film to make it more viewer friendly :idea: just thought i would put that out there :idea:
710M 1972
710k 1974