Door locks - argh!!!

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

psychoman

Door locks - argh!!!

Post by psychoman »

Okay - we got a set of door locks for the 712... but failed at the first hurdle of actually removing the door handle/lock mechanism from the door in order to fit the new locks. Undid all the visible screws and bolts. Am I missing something....?
It aint what you drive, its the way that you drive it...
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Did you release the inside door handle? is it still attached could be holding it in. http://www.expeditionimports.zoovy.com/ ... k_install/
psychoman

Post by psychoman »

Oh, that's really helpful - thanks!

Still struggling with the door card tho - trying to remove this without knackering it or breaking the door knob...

Just found the thread about removing the door knobs - so its a question of spraying then drifting them off, eh?
Teebags

Post by Teebags »

Got the latch off and managed to open up the bottom of the door card without removing the handle. The problem I'm having now is that there is an extra drainage pipe on these doors that isn't on the doors in the EI pictures above. This steel drain pipe is fouling the nut on the back of the lock and there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to remove it. Any ideas?
psychoman

Re: Door Locks

Post by psychoman »

AZ712DK wrote: Door lock install should take about 15-30 minutes a door depending on the condition of the truck and how much battling you have to do with the screws and experience level.

Brian
We must be really crap then! An hour of fiddling and still having problems!!!!
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Back when I worked for Dennis, I learned 2 things about the door locks: The first is always the worst, and some locks will only take 20/30 minutes and some will only take FOREVER! Wait until you get to the rear door locks. There seem to be 2 types. One type has a rod with a spring and the other type doesn't. Dong my first one, I was told that the rod and spring weren't needed. If it had them, they are needed!!!!
Jon_Gilbart

I'd like to get some door locks, also

Post by Jon_Gilbart »

Where did you get the door locks? I checked Expedition Imports website for door locks, but came up empty (maybe I'm not looking in the right place?). I see "Swiss Army Vehicles" has some along w/ "T-Lo's Ultimate Off-Road." Any suggestions on which to buy? Thanks. -Jon
Thomas-E

Door Locks

Post by Thomas-E »

Scott (EI) has a technical section on his website, door lock installation is there with pictures!:shock:

"Pinzgauer Information - Service Bulletins"
http://www.expeditionimports.zoovy.com/ ... k_install/

My Driver door had the shaft frozen in the latch mechanism, I tried several
solutions to release it, beat on the shaft from the inside until it bent the latch frame.:cry:

I finally used an angle grinder to cut the handle of the shaft from the outside.

Had to buy a new latch assembly.

Best of luck

Thomas E. - 712m (soon to be 712 Camper)
Sonora, CA