transmition oil overfill ?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

norcal pinz
United States of America

transmition oil overfill ?

Post by norcal pinz »

i think i might have overfilled the transmission i added 80/90 i know about the three holes ( fill drain level ) i could not fit my Allen wrench in to take the bolt off of the level control(710k). And i added a bunch ,because the box behind it needed allot after driving it on the highway i noticed oil on the center tube my ? is , Is there an overflow, and what kind of damage might i have done by overfilling it then driving on the highway? thanks
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: 8)
710M 1972
710k 1974
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I use the stubby 10mm allen wrench that comes in the factory tool kit. Put the jack lever (breaker bar) on it for leverage. If you don't get the middle hole open, you are just guessing the fluid level. There is no over-flow that I'm aware of.
Perhaps you could find the exact transmission fluid capacity in the manual and just add that much!

P.S.- Use only GL-4 gear fluid in the tranny!
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

There is a vent on the shift tower. As for capacity, all you have to do is read the freaking manual. Now to answer your question, 2 qts.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

thanks everybody i didnot get the stubby allen wrench so im either going to buy one or just put in 2 quarts like jim said i overfilled it and drove 20 miles on the highway i hope there is no dammage :cry:
710M 1972
710k 1974
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Your Going to want and buy a wrench. What's going to happen, if the transmission is leaking and you drive 3000 miles, with out checking fluid levels. Somethings going to break. :shock: Even if you don't work on your vehicle I would recommend you get familiar with it. That time of the month Jim. :lol: Mine was yesterday nothing went right.