how far can you tilt one?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

purplePinzer

how far can you tilt one?

Post by purplePinzer »

How far have you guys had your pinzers tilted sideways? I would say ive had mine upwards of 25 degrees before I was over what I was trying to clear. I am always afraid of rolling mine since they are pretty high vehicles. I have a string in mine with a weight on the end so show me how far i am tilting. its my cheap version of a tilt meter. Just wondering how far I can go.
72 710m blurple paint!
Bruce Berger

Post by Bruce Berger »

I took an off road driving class at Hungry Valley OHV area in California a couple of years ago. One of the exercises we did was to drive across a measured slope. I had my 710 at 30 degrees measured by a inclinometer placed at the base of the windshield. Very scary for a newbie. It felt like a light push would knock it over even though I should have been good for about another 15 degrees.

I had my tires aired down to 15 PSI and it looked like all 4 were about to roll off of the rims.

With some more experience I think my pucker factor starts to kick in around 20 degrees. The key is keep everything very smooth and to keep the truck from bouncing.

Even though I was well within my comfort zone I laid mine over in a boulder field when the left rear tire suddenly slipped off of a rock dropping about a foot and the momentum took it over. Fortunately the same rock kept it from going completely on its side allowing me to back up and get on all four wheels to reset and take another line.
Bruce Berger
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
mit Beck-LaGuardia Elektronischer Einspritzung
purplePinzer

Post by purplePinzer »

ya im somewhat of a newbie so i hit like 25 degrees and felt like it was real close to rolling even though 2 of my tires were on flat ground. I read that they can do 44 degrees, If thats true I am more of a newbie than i thought or this information is just wrong.
72 710m blurple paint!
ka

Post by ka »

what i'm wondering from all this is what the different configurations are supposed to do. is that 44 deg in a 710m with all things stripped? what about a 712m? or a 710k? my 712amb had an amazingly low cg - way lower than mt 710m has.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
D Holder

Post by D Holder »

I swear I was at about 40° before it went over. I was going to back up but my buddy gave me those famous words,"It's not going to roll." :lol:
pinzi
Belgium

Post by pinzi »

:lol: Me and dad...and it's more than 40° Image Image
off-road until i die
pinzi
Belgium

Post by pinzi »

:lol: Volvo c303 doing the same....funy Image
off-road until i die
purplePinzer

Post by purplePinzer »

were you laying against that dirt on the driver side?
72 710m blurple paint!
D Holder

Post by D Holder »

I'm sure it was more than 40° because it sure didn't roll very far. You can just make out the rock I was climbing on the left.
OhioPinz

Post by OhioPinz »

You spend a crazy fortune on seats, but can't afford a $10.00 tilt meter?
pinzi
Belgium

Post by pinzi »

This one is just after the side-hill ride...and no dirt on that side :wink: Image
off-road until i die
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

As far as how far you can go,well I've been too far once. :o I believe a few degrees less is preferable...... :lol: Gravity is always there.......
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

D Holder,looks like there was room to go around... :lol:
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
D Holder

Post by D Holder »

M-
Anyone can go around a boulder. It takes a real monkey to lay it over. :wink:
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

When I first told my aunt in Switzerland about buying a Pinz, she responded- "they like to tip over". When talking to my cousin (he's spent plenty of military time in Pinzes) he immediately says "they like to tip over". When talking to my other cousin's husband (swiss military too) he says "they like to tip over". Made me go "hmmmm". Their second comment was the same too- "they slurp a lot of juice" :lol: