how far can you tilt one?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Just because your inclinometer gets a certain reading while going around corners does not mean this is the angle you are tilting your vehicle to. When you go around corners, there is a "centrifical force" that acts on things and pushes them to the outside of the circle
Exactly. Except the body is not "tiping" when going around the corner, but the total effect is essentially the same as a static tilt. I've also had it right around 30 off road but I don't have time to check it as easily as a smooth, paved corner. I just have a better feel for how fast I can negotiate a corner and the inclinometer reading is fairly stable so I can get an idea of how far I dare to take it.

Jim M.
ka

Post by ka »

so does cetrifical force have the same effect on that ball bearing as gravity? does the force that moves that ball to 30 deg equal gravity?

for some reason right now i cant grapple that.....
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

This is one of my personal favourite "tilting" pics!.....It's was taken by a professional photographer (Michael Ellem of Offroad Images), whilst he was getting some pics of my Pinny for a Australian 4WD magazine article.
I never realised it was on such an angle till I saw the pics at the bottom of the hill.

Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Gentlemen,

I also rolled my Pinz, - just one more time over that little bitty hill -, too far on the left and gone...

However you should look at the following 3 utubes:
The first one : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcvKrQSja28&NR=1 just shows how easy it rolled over, I still am wondering what really caused it, speed?
The 2nd one just shows an almost impossible wall-climb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcvKrQSja28&NR=1, amazing !!
The last one one shows what can happen in the sand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcvKrQSja28&NR=1

There are lots of interesting Utubes about Pinzes.

Good luck

Jules
Pinz of rock - 710M / 1975 (Austrian Army)
ka

Post by ka »

gr8 flix but it's all the same one.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I also rolled my Pinz, - just one more time over that little bitty hill -, too far on the left and gone...
Can't say I've ever rolled a Pinny..... I guess 30 years of driving Haflingers has honed my skill to try and keep the shiney side up! :wink: :roll:
I have rolled Haffy's plenty of times though! :cry:
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Hmmm.... all 3 flix the same... sorry

The impossible hill this Pinz takes makes you feel proud you own one;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOKIeaqtPzY

The unexpectedly quick roll-over still baffles me, too much speed on a little bump ???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAkIS3ycwc

Well the sandhill is still above...

Jules
ka

Post by ka »

nice! thx, JNijst!

the "unexpectedly quick roll-over" flik seems to be a bad url, tho
1973 710m

JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Well... 3 times to get it right....

When you are watching U tube, type in at the top:
Rolling Pinzgauer on its side,
it should get you the right flick

Jules
AZ_Dave

Post by AZ_Dave »

Jimm391730 wrote:
Just because your inclinometer gets a certain reading while going around corners does not mean this is the angle you are tilting your vehicle to. When you go around corners, there is a "centrifical force" that acts on things and pushes them to the outside of the circle
Exactly. Except the body is not "tiping" when going around the corner, but the total effect is essentially the same as a static tilt. I've also had it right around 30 off road but I don't have time to check it as easily as a smooth, paved corner. I just have a better feel for how fast I can negotiate a corner and the inclinometer reading is fairly stable so I can get an idea of how far I dare to take it.

Jim M.
i am a bit skeptical about this. I am going to find my old physics teacher to confirm. Can you explain this phenomenon via vectors or math. I have been thinking about this for a while.
ka

Post by ka »

AZ_Dave wrote:i am a bit skeptical about this. ....... Can you explain this phenomenon via vectors or math. I have been thinking about this for a while.
hehe... my thoughts exactly. somehow i can get a grip on the answer to this.

the force on the ball in the guage is always exactly its weight. there is no other force on the ball in a static tip of the pinz. tip the pinz at any angle and that force is the same - the ball's weight.

uh oh... i need some breakfast.
1973 710m

pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

Won't try to explain the centrifugal force effect on the gauge.

What is a very real factor is your effective CG outwards as the body leans. The more you tip, the less stable the vehicle dynamics. It's more than just CG, it's the triangle made by the CG's downward force & centrifugal force acting and the outside wheel. (Hard to explain in text)

Static, or going straight, the CG is one vertex, the road to cg the right angle of the triangle, and the wheel the other vertex. It's a right triangle, and the base is half the track and parallel to the road. You'll hear this sometimes called a stability triangle.

In a curve, the triangle is no longer right, as the CG vector shift toward the outside wheel. As the vehicle starts to tip, the CG moves even closer to the outside wheel, and the "base" component narrows, and it becomes even less stable. Higher CG, narrower base=less stable. And vice versa.

All that said, there is a nice diagram in the duece & a half drivers manual that shows this. Maybe prof pinz can get us a nice diagram?

And regarding pinz flips..... most have nothing to do with static tip angle. The rear end get's light going down a hill, the driver panics, slams on the brakes. CG shifts forward due to inertia, it tips more, they brake more. With the rear up/light, the slightest side camber starts to bring the vehicle over.

Fix? If you start to feel the rear get light, hit the gas. It shifts the CG back, the rear comes back down, and you are (temporarily) back in control. Geesen put me onto this, and he's right. It's saved me many times. Counterintuitive, but it works.

Better yet, never brake hard on a steep hill, never put the clutch in on a down hill, and don't let speed build up that would force you to brake quickly.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a case where a pinz flipped going up a hill. Sean or Vince one flipped one at speed in a turn in a rally, that was a different case for sure.

Have fun,

Alan
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

G'Day Alan, long time no hear/see!
Good to see you back on the forum...I'II have to send you an email with all the latest news/gossip!
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

ka

Post by ka »

hey! what about us?
1973 710m

AZ_Dave

Post by AZ_Dave »

thanks for the answer Alan. I understand this all really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, (it is going to tip when it is going to tip), but I find the why questions about things the most interesting. Didn't think about them tipping forward. maybe we should do a poll to see how people tend to roll and in what conditions. It would be interesting to know which conditions are the main culprits.