how far can you tilt one?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

ka

Post by ka »

well now i wanna go tip mine over. gr8.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
D Holder

Post by D Holder »

Ka- The key to a nice tilt is making sure you have a soft landing area. Mine was pure sand. Being close to the road helps so your friend can tilt it back up with a strap and his F-350. Don't forget the quality co-driver with a bad since of balance to tell you, "your doing great". :wink:
russ

Post by russ »

OhioPinz wrote:You spend a crazy fortune on seats, but can't afford a $10.00 tilt meter?
My seat is my tilt meter!
If you didn't get stuck, you didn't try hard enough.
'74 710K

1984 in 2009
ka

Post by ka »

i should practice with a pile of matresses 1st.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Andre was driving, I was riding shotgun, with a family of seven in the back, and I swear we were at 45 degrees (and stopped, not just "passing through" 45 degrees!). Nobody took a breath, and Andre said "That's 45 degrees!" and took off to flatter terrain. I dont' think the seat ever got the crease out! So AT TIMES, a 710 can go a LOONNNGGG way without going over, even with a full load.

My 712W (with the 9' tall box, see my avitar) routinely gets to 30 degrees on the inclinometer just going around corners. I really don't want to find out how far it can go; that fiberglass box just won't be pretty if it does. I'm guessing it could go 3-5 degrees more. But it is so much taller, and more top heavy than a 710.

Jim M.
712W and 710M
SAM. C.

Post by SAM. C. »

D Holder

Did you roll the front tyre off the rim when you were climbing that rock? The front tyre laying flat on the ground looks really skinny.

Sam
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

I think I'm even more impressed that you were able to post those photos correctly!
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
D Holder

Post by D Holder »

Sam-
I never noticed that before in the pictures. All the tires were just fine. The tires are not skinny at all. It must be burried in the sand a couple of inches. It did smoke for about a mile after we righted it.

TP-
It took me a couple of tries to figure out how to link the pictures. Practice makes perfect.
AZ_Dave

Post by AZ_Dave »

I was in a tip over and it didn't seem like we reached the full 45 or so degrees before we started to tip. I think it was because we had some sideways momentum because of a huge rut we hit. I think there is probably a certain amount of tilt it can have when moving slow or stopped, but if you are moving fast and the tilt also turns, then you get a centrifical force trying to push you over. I don't know if that last bit made sense, but the point is, it depends on the conditions and speed, etc as to how much you can tip so don't depend on 44 degrees or whatever as being absolute.
Tads

Post by Tads »

My previous job involved tilt testing lots of green painted diesel Pinzs. The only time we tested an empty 718T we reached the limit of the tilt platform, 50o, before the wheels lifted off. Not to be recommended as a practical limit for off roading though!!

Typical static tilt performance for an empty diesel with a roof on it was more like 40-43o.

Tom
AZ_Dave

Post by AZ_Dave »

Jimm391730 wrote:
My 712W (with the 9' tall box, see my avitar) routinely gets to 30 degrees on the inclinometer just going around corners. I really don't want to find out how far it can go; that fiberglass box just won't be pretty if it does. I'm guessing it could go 3-5 degrees more. But it is so much taller, and more top heavy than a 710.

Jim M.
712W and 710M
Just because your inclinometer gets a certain reading while going around corners does not mean this is the angle you are tilting your vehicle to. When you go around corners, there is a "centrifical force" that acts on things and pushes them to the outside of the circle (think the gravitron at the fair).

The inclinometer you likely use works by a little weight on the end of a string (an overly simplified version) and when you go around corners, this makes the weight "think" that gravity is coming from a different direction. Some of these have some methods built in to the guage to stop this from effecting the reading as much, but it still does. I very seriously doubt that you are tipping 30 degrees while turning on a level surface around a corner. If the body does indeed tilt this much, remember that you are only tilting the body in this case, not the wheels, etc. unless your wheels are lifting off the ground during turns. This is quite a bit of a difference compared to tilting the whole thing (wheels, body, and all).
ka

Post by ka »

yall are tempting me to tie my 710 to a strap and tie the other end to my tundra to tip the thing over (aimed at some mattresses) and read the tilt guage. hmmm... ok, and i need another vehicle on the other side to pull the pinz back from falling right over and then pull it back upright.

who's done this already?

i see they're digging a pit at the corner with a huge shovel. hmmm...
1973 710m

McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Hey take it to one of the LandRover dealers and try their obstacle course thing!
AZ_Dave

Post by AZ_Dave »

ka wrote:yall are tempting me to tie my 710 to a strap and tie the other end to my tundra to tip the thing over (aimed at some mattresses) and read the tilt guage. hmmm... ok, and i need another vehicle on the other side to pull the pinz back from falling right over and then pull it back upright.

who's done this already?

i see they're digging a pit at the corner with a huge shovel. hmmm...
If you do this, try tipping it into a hill covered with mattresses. That way, once it tips, it doesn't fall as hard. Come on... Do It! You know you want to find out. Take one for the team. :lol:
ka

Post by ka »

gr8 idea. i'm gonna do it.

also, i'm just about to have to move to md, where a land rover setup happens to be. very strange coincidence....
1973 710m