crack in maintenance cover

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Can't even guess how it happened, maybe got stepped on? Anyway I have a large crack (4'') in the left front of the cover, at the corner, what do I use to repair it?

Morris
ka

Post by ka »

what kind of plastic are these covers?
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
D Holder

Post by D Holder »

I used fiberglass cloth and resin to repair mine. It doesn't match perfect but my repair is hidden.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I used super glue and painted it again with rattle can flat black. I can still see the crack but it is not moving.
og

Post by og »

I used the Loctite Plastix Bonder, a two-component epoxy for plastic, comes in a double-syringe packing. Worked great for large cracks in the front two lower corners, but not so good on the flexing rear edge. Maybe it was my lousy prep on that side. Then I got some kevlar or aramid 1" wide tape from Jonestown Distributors (10 yards for like $20 delivered), and used the same glue over the cracks. That did it for good. Fiberglass tape might work too, but kevlar was less itchy. The price on a new cover is truly scary.
I also changed the seal. The replacement one sold by SAV is of proper dimensions, but it seems to be much harder then original seal. Used 3M
Weatherstripping glue (pale yellow version color) and that worked great. The only problem is that it takes some force now to press clamps (all 4).
No big deal, but I hope that stress won't create new cracks. If it does
I'll let everybody know. Inside cover, the insulation was chewed in few
places. I noticed that some rubbery compound was used for a repair before, so I used Permatex Black Silicone Adhesive sealant. Although not technically a filler, it did a good job. I used spatula to smear it over the holes in insulation.
OG
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

The rear clamps are adjustable :shock:
Just mark the position, loosen the mounting bolts, slide it and re tighten 8)
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
og

Post by og »

I'll do that. Thank you!
OG
todds112

Post by todds112 »

I got a 2 part eurethane that is meant to be used to repair plastic bumper covers. It comes in a caulk like tube. I haven't tried it yet. It's on my list to do. :roll:
1973 712M