Drive it hard???

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

krick3tt

Drive it hard???

Post by krick3tt »

While removing the valve covers to adjust the valves I noticed a whitish foam in the 4th cover. I have seen this before in the oil cap but never noticed it in the cover.
I was advised to drive it hard as the stuff comes from living in a cold wet environment and that is what exists in the PNW.

What does driving it hard really mean? I don't want to blow the thing up.

Morris, 710M
Middlebury_Pinz
United States of America

Post by Middlebury_Pinz »

I wouldn't necesarily "drive it hard", but I would consider driving it for longer distances to get it really hot. You see that froth develop when you take shorter trips and the engine doesn't get hot enough to vaporize some of the blow by or contaminants in the oil. Just take some longer trips and get it up to operating temperature and you will be fine. If that's not practical, just change the oil more frequently to get rid of the contaminants.

Mike
ka

Post by ka »

how long does it take to get to this "operating temp"? seems mine takes maybe 25 minutes when it's 55-60 deg outside!
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
krick3tt

drive it hard???

Post by krick3tt »

Thanks Mike,
I was hoping it was going to go that way. The term confused me. I just have to go farther than getting stuff at the store.
Now that gas is cheaper it is not an issue to take the pinz at every opportunity, to get my 'fix', as it is getting the same milage as our family car (jeep Liberty), now that the carbs have been rebuilt.

Morris