EFI Pinz- 27 degree cold start & drive away video

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

pinztrek
Barbados

EFI Pinz- 27 degree cold start & drive away video

Post by pinztrek »

Jerbearyukon wrote:I have been watching this thread and I will say up fron that I don't have the FOGGIEST idea of what you are talking about.

What I am looking for is getting rid of the smell in the cab and having my pinz run smooth PERIOD.
snip....
Jerbearyukon wrote: Think sometimes it would be easier to moving somewhere WARM..oops did I actually say that.
Well, it's not minus 25, but here's something you might can relate to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IirJRz0opI

The link is a video showing my EFI pinz startup & drive away on a 27 degree morning after an overnight cold soak. Not particularly cold, but it will crank & run like this independent of temp & altitude.

Engine timing, fast idle, priming, cranking, afterstart, and warmup fuel params all adjust based on ambient air temp & engine temp.

Gauges show (clockwise from top left) RPM, ambient air (MAT), Cyl Head Temp (CHT), and MAP (Vacuum). You lose some resolution on youtube, I'll make available via FTP for anyone that wants to see the raw file, the detail is pretty good in the original. I had the gauges in Fahrenheit for this video. We normally use them in Celsius

So you can start & drive away regardless of temp. I made no adjustments, compensation, whatever, and it had been below 30F all night. All controlled by the ECU. The laptop was just there for gauges.

Apologies for the camera falling over when I made my first turn. :-)

Have fun,

Alan
indigoth

Post by indigoth »

two things

first, I'm not all that impressed with the way your pinz started, Alan. I live in Minneapolis, and my box stock carbed pinz is my daily driver. today, it's -8C right now(that's 17F). and it's been colder. My pinz starts EXTREMELY well when it's cold ... and I mean, like, when that first spark plug fires, it catches and runs really really well. and so, your crankety-crankety-crank doesn't impress me even tho you only cranked for a relatively short time.

second, I AM VERY impressed with the cold temp drive-ability of your pinz. I DO wish mine was as drive-able at those "first-thing-in-the-morning" engine temps. I have to keep the revs up higher than i like to keep 'er on the top of the torque curve. having more torque on tap at lower rpm's first thing in the morning would be very welcome.

my admitedly limited observations ...
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

indigoth wrote:two things

first, I'm not all that impressed with the way your pinz started, Alan. ...

snip....

and so, your crankety-crankety-crank doesn't impress me even tho you only cranked for a relatively short time.
Well I'm not impressed with the slow crankety-crank either. (and commented on it in the video) But the low cranking speed has nothing to do with the EFI, that's the effect of 7 year old batteries and a cold night. Normal cranking rpm is around 250-300, so there was definitely a low voltage issue.

Herbert fusses at me to replace them, but I've realized this is a real world condition. It tests several things for us, most importantly the injector voltage adjustment. Injectors will squirt less fuel at lower voltage, so our controller adjusts for that.

You are right, most pinz's don't have issues with cold starts, the colder the better. Hot starts are normally the more challenging issue. But with EFI it flips a bit, as you have to control:
  • * prime- the equivalent of patting the pedal before cranking
    * afterstart enrichment- the first 20-30 seconds of full choke before you press it in a bit
    * warmup- The slowly decreasing amounts of choke as the engine warms up
    * Fast Idle Air- And of course, the choke knob on a carb also controls fast idle air setting, so we have a cranking fast idle, a warmup curve from 1350 rpm down to steadystate idle.
So hot starts are easy, it's coldstarts & driveaways that are more challenging on an EFI pinz. Just more to dial in. Lot's of time.
second, I AM VERY impressed with the cold temp drive-ability of your pinz. I DO wish mine was as drive-able at those "first-thing-in-the-morning" engine temps.
This is what the video was intended to demonstrate. It took quite a bit of work to get all temp drive off capability. And you can do it from cold to hot. Cannot do it well without closed loop fast idle and well tuned enrichment & air setting link to ambient & engine temp. (we key off of both)
my admitedly limited observations ...
Both observations are valid... just one is the effect of a box stock, 134k swiss pinz that has never had a thing done to engine internals. And with old, borderline batteries to boot! :-) Impacts EFI, but is not the result of EFI. But real world tests are important, and we learn from them. So I keep my borderline batteries for a while. Next cold night I'll top them off on a charger before another cold start and video.

One other note:

Depending on the type of distributorless ignition used, you do see a slight delay before the engine attempts to fire. This is usually one or two full revolutions of the crank. The various cpu's use different methods to index TDC or some other reference point. Ours is a major OEM module, and requires at least one full revolution.

Some will also not fire until they see a set "cranking" rpm.

This is the new norm, I see it even in my new cummins diesel VS my old low tech diesels. That (index TDC) effect contributed a bit to the slow crank/fire in the video, but with proper cranking speed it's not noticeable unless you really know what to look for. The advantages of distributorless ignition and super hot spark are well worth that slight delay.

Have fun, and keep the questions coming!

Alan
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

OK I like this ALOT...now I need to know how to get it, how much and can any mechanic install it up here.

Otherwise I am looking ata a flight for you and a fishing trip..dunno but I am sure we can work something out.

I am working on the pinz right now with help from Dennis Williams

I have #1 cylinder that isn't firing so that is leading to a whole bunch of GRIEF.

I have some things to checkout. He's said that that could be the big problem I have. He has given me a check list that I will go through tonight.

I really like the way that PINZ goes. Where I live we have 2 seasons.

WINTER and POOR SLEDDING. Having my pinz fire up and go is ESSENTIAL.

Jer Bear
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I would like to see a video of
Immediate throttle response, with no bogs, spits, or backfires even when rolling on the throttle at very low RPM under heavy load (think crossing boulders in 4wd)
ka

Post by ka »

does anyone know of any video of this kind of thing on a pinz?
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

Erik712m wrote:I would like to see a video of
Immediate throttle response, with no bogs, spits, or backfires even when rolling on the throttle at very low RPM under heavy load (think crossing boulders in 4wd)
I'll have to find a wampus hill locally. Normally we do this up at Herbert's, he has some killer ones.

I did make this quick vid going up the embankment on my driveway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpXfca34zCc

I'll repeat this with gauges showing RPM & Throttle position as well as the angle.

Here's a snap of it at the crest. This is a pretty good bump, most vehicles do not have approach/departure to do this.

The intent is not to say it can only climb 25 degrees or that carbs can't do this. It's the seamless transition up the hill without bogging and never leaving idle speed. Closed loop idle equals offroad cruise control! The fast idle valve adds air to keep the idle speed at what you set it at. I also use some fuel map tricks to help this as well. It's very hard to bog at idle now.

We've done 45 degrees sustained grade at idle with no problem, rolled on throttle and shifted. I'll also try to film going over three stacked telephone poles, etc.

Need a real video camera, this is just my digital camera, does not refocus once video started.

Have fun, and more to come!

Alan
ka

Post by ka »

looks gr8! so... what's the diff between your efi here and herbert's on his green pickle?

dammit - now i need a magnetic inclinometer.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

ka wrote:looks gr8! so... what's the diff between your efi here and herbert's on his green pickle?.
Again, it's not a big hill. But still a valid demo. I'll have to get help to film on a steep grade, try to bog it, then roll on throttle. That's the eye opener!

Same system on the pickle & my pinz. Different tuning due to the 2.7l & cam on the pickle. Both running same pinz dedicated firmware. Pickle is not currently running closed loop idle, we wanted to also test mechanical fast idle valve. Needless to say, we using closed loop on all from here out.

There are also some more annotated video's showing warm (still in choke) start, then taking to redline, etc. Repeated cranks. Also annotated the original video of Day tuning on the pickle. (with redline)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... type=&aq=f
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

little did I know, rev must mean something different in Austrian
:lol: :lol: