fuel injectors vs carburetors

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

norcal pinz
United States of America

fuel injectors vs carburetors

Post by norcal pinz »

Can anybody explain too some of us, the benefits of a well tuned efi i know there are some people who must think if its not broken don't fix it. i will consider it after the bugs are worked out and if the price comes down. another thing, does the value increase with efi or is stock king? really appreciate any comments.
710M 1972
710k 1974
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

The benefits are better reliability, instant starting in all weather, no gas smell in the cab, less emmissions, better or same gas milage as carbs, no flooding on steep angles,excellent accelleration (the system I am running)uses off the shelf sensors and parts available across the country.
Don't expect the cost to come down. There is a lot of time and money invested putting a good working system together , dyno time,and fine tuning the maps.
As far as value goes, each vehicle sells on it's own merits, that is one of the reasons my Beck injection system was designed to be almost completely bolt on, no modification to the intake runners. If you want to sell your truck and keep the injection for another truck, it is completely restorable to stock in one afternoon.
If you like to crawl over things at high angles, injection makes it much easier. I had almost a full load of people in my 710M and crawled at idle up a fairly steep rocky grade , when I had carbs, it would not have performed as well.
One more nice thing is a cable controlled throttle, no more unwanted rpm changes under load due to engine shifting.
Not everyone needs it, but it does improve the qualities of the beast.
Hope that was what you were looking for.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

thanks very informative jim
710M 1972
710k 1974
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

STOCK! I wouldn't have it any other way! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am a big believer in EFI,it's the aerodynamics of the Pinz that aggravates the mileage at highway speeds. A Pinz is a Pinz,the money most of us put into our trucks will not be recovered,except thru personal satisfaction. My goal is to make it more enjoyable for ME,and reliability is part of that. Now my priorities are scrambled, EFI :) , Power steering, :D 2.7upgrade 8),A/C, (oh yea,DONE!). My Pinz is getting a little rotund,perhaps all are in order!

P.S. If your speedo don't work,mileage doesn't seem to matter!

Beers gone,done rambling,goodnight!
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
ka

Post by ka »

mark - please finish up your list there and sell that pinz to me.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential