Redline gearoil additive

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Jerbearyukon

Redline gearoil additive

Post by Jerbearyukon »

I was talking with Marco (used to run expedition exports) up here in the Yukon. He told me he used to add so Redline gearoil additive. You mix it with the 90 weight for the Pinz. He found it got rid of the "WHINE" in the gearboxes.

He put it in everything.

Anybody tried this?

Jer Bear
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Redline MT90 is a good choice, it does improve shift and noise issues in some units. Use 2 qts to fill the trans. I have used it in mine for 2 years now, It's around $11 per quart.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Thanks...can you use it for everything in the drivetrain?

Jer Bear
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I have used Redline in my transmission for about 2 years with excellant results. Perfect shift every time. The rear seal has to be good or it might leak, but it's easy to replace. The whining noise comes from the differentials, I use regular gear oil there.
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

In my regular email exchanges with Thilo, he's is absolutely dead set against synthetics or additives. He'll fire me as a customer if I don't stick with his instructions! :oops:

How about some other opinions about the merits of additives or synthetics?
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I have run syn oils in everything but the portals. The first time I used it was in my K. I experienced a definate reduction in interior noise. If the old technology is so good,why do we want Pertronix,Radial tires or EFI? :roll:
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Redline for trans only. Never use any synthetic in the portals, if it leaks onto the brake shoes, they will need to be replaced :shock:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
ablank

Post by ablank »

talk about timing

I'm changing the diff/transfer case/transmission/portal fluids, and a friend at a big rig shop offered to let me use their stuff. Talking with their "oil guy" he suggested I run an APi-GL-5 MT-1 full syn, he compared it against what is called for in the books and said with the oil he has that the truck will loose 10-14% rolling resistance and 60% friction loss, and the oil is rated for 500,000 miles (barring water contamination). This is oil they use in their rigs for transmissions and differentials and he has trucks in his shop with over 1,000,000 miles between fluid swaps.

From the statements I've seen, people avoid synthetics in different components and I'm wondering why is it avoided, what problems does it cause and am I going to destroy the truck running this stuff?
How'd this get here?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Introducing synthetics to old seals is a recipie for leaks. I pulled a center driveline from a truck that had synthetic, the center tube held around 3 missing gallons :shock: So choose wisely :roll:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
Kirby

Transmission...

Post by Kirby »

I thought I heard someone say once that since the transmission has Brass parts . . The Syn. stuff should not be used in there? I stick with GL 4 standard stuff.

:-)
Pinzing is AWESOME.
MB300GD

Post by MB300GD »

I will preface my comments with this statement - I spent 6 years as a research engineer for Shell Oil company in the fuels and lubricants department.

1. Additives are a waste of money
2. Synthetic fluids are not a good choice for "older" equipment
3. Use the mfg. recommended fluids and change them as outlined in the owners manual