Red hot Catalytic converter

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

junglefever
Costa Rica

Red hot Catalytic converter

Post by junglefever »

HELP!!! I was driving my recently purchased 73 Pinz 710 in Costa Rica and while on the hills it was seriously under powered. Felt like bad wires or plugs. The Cat was glowing RED HOT!!! I stopped on the side of the road and found one plug wire end was no good. I replaced that wire but still no good. Any ideas? Did I eat an exhaust valve? What else would make the Cat so hot? It is very new so I figured it was not plugged. Good compression in the tail pipe lead me to believe that was not the issue.

Thanks for any and all help
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

What cat? The pinz is not factory equipped with a catalytic converter.
If one has been fitted the excess heat could be from over advanced timing,too much fuel or extreme lean condition. Look for vac leaks.
A picture of the part would help clarify what to look for.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
junglefever
Costa Rica

Post by junglefever »

YEAH, In Costa Rica they have very tough inspection laws. Way more intense than anything in USA. Catalytic converter is mandatory. It was not a problem driving the Pinz previously, even after the new Cat was installed.
Cant send any Pics as the rig is in Costa Rica and I will not be back there till April. Want to show up with any parts in hand I may need. The rig is new to me.. There must be timing marks yes.. Will a standard strobe type timing light suffice? Will look for vacuum issues. Since it sits a long time, perhaps a float was stuck. definitely needs new plug wires.. Can I use standard 8mm suppressor wires? Thanks for your reply. I think this is going to be a fun rig once I learn all her quarks...