Adjusting the Brakes

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

LibTimothy
United States of America

Post by LibTimothy »

Erik,

Whoa.... Come on.... I come here and play nice. OK I should have read the manual first. But that is no reason to bite my head off. If you think I'm asking stupid questions then don't read my posts.

Dave,

I do have a machanic who will help me with this. He has never done Pinz brakes before but we decided that if I hold the manual and he turns the wrenches, we should be able to figure this out. Since I will be paying him by the hour, I'd really like to spend the time wrench turning and not part hunting.

I understand the issue of safety -- which is why I am seeking advice before I start -- I believe there is much knowledge that is not in books. If I don't adjust the brakes soon I will be unsafe anyway.

Anyway, since I have apparently violated the unwritten rules of the forum, I withdraw all questions asked.

Timothy

OK?
When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

That's ok Erik, but remember flying off the handle is my forte.... I am an expert! :D
Just keep to your bad spelling and grammer...those on the board without a decoder ring need to keep their brain exercised too. :lol:

Timothy needs some "hands on" supervision. As much as he wants to learn, brakes are too important to rely on a forum or online help, if you don't known the basics. And the Pinz does have a couple of quirps.

Because of the short wheelbase, swing arm suspension and height, a Pinz is easy to flip on a flat road with misadjusted or bad brakes.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Timothy
The Pinz brakes are much the same as a old VW bus. Nothing special.
My last post was being written before I had seen your last one.

Before "shotgunning" questions into the forum, read and go to a website's like Jim's where he took a lot of time photographing and detailing many different repair procedures.

Dave
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
LibTimothy
United States of America

Post by LibTimothy »

Before "shotgunning" questions into the forum

I have spent all night thinking about what I want to say about this. I will attempt to refrain from using swear words.

Let's review. I asked a technical question about pinzgauer specific issues with adjusting brakes on the pinzgauer technical forum. I did not ask how to do a brake job. I asked what specific things do I need to look for on a pinzgauer. What specific parts should I have on hand. How hard is "can't be turned by hand".

For this I was told to RTFM, that I was shotgunning questions on the forum, and that I would kill women and children.

Do I have this about right?

And just for the record, I looked at Jim's web site (as well as others) and searched and read every single post on this web site about adjusting brakes.... BEFORE I posted my question. I did my homework. I still think my questions are valid, in the correct forum, and (for the most part) un-answered.

You know, I really feel like I am being put in a position of having to defend every question I ask. And I am really offended when I am told that I am shotgunning questions on the forum.

Timothy
Hey no swear words!
When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail.
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Hey bud relax. I have asked a whole bunch of questions here too. I am not a mechanic and sometimes the books aren't complete enough for us NOT in the know.

I post them anyway. Disgussion is good and many of the oldtimer pinz ppl here (not meaning old in age, but having dealt with them longer) have TRICKS they can help with. If they choose not to respond...no biggy.

I am going to ask anyway.

You need to relax and see the big picture maaaaaaaaaaaann

I have tried to do the brakes on my own the first time too. I finally called a buddy of mine who is a master mechanic..joureneyman, auot mechanic, heavy equipment mechanic, machinist you name it he can fix it.

He had some trouble reading the manual too, but his smarts and experience is what got us through it.

Have a great Christmas your doing the right things.

Jer Bear :D :D
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Tim, Your petty much right And I apologize... I was in a bad mood saturday morning. And took it out on you. Woke up a couple hours after I wanted to and Little hungover. Needed to be in the stand before sun up, you can see from my original post I was still home way after that. For the most part all your questions were valid. Again I am truly sorry.

I don't now how hard is can't be turned by hand. Basically all you are doing is preparing the pads the same on all six wheel. So that all six wheels are slowing the same rate, once the brakes are applied at the force. If they are not set all the same it will want to pull hard to one direction. And believe me you will know it if they are not.
krick3tt

adjusting the brakes

Post by krick3tt »

My Dad was what is termed a 'shade tree mechanic', he could fix anything if he had the tools. He always said 'If people make it , then people can fix it'.
I learned a lot from him, even things I don't think I know till I need them. ...that being said, I have trouble sometimes asking the questions because I think I should know by this time in my life. I need this forum to go to ask, even if it has been asked before. Sometimes in the heat of my frustration at not being able to do a task I will just ask.

Brake adjustment is not that complicated, nor is adjusting the valves but there are tricks that only someone that has done it many times before can pass along. I learned to balance the carbs by watching Jim and even then it took me several times on my own to really get the 'hang' of it.

Please have patience with those of us that aren't ace mechanics and don't really understand the manual written by designers and mechanics.

To me this forum is like an extended family and I feel that I can call on anyone to help me out

Thanks,
Morris
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Well said Morris, and it is righty-tighty-lefty-loosey, :D right? :?
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
krick3tt

brake adjusting

Post by krick3tt »

That is the one thing about the brake star that still confuses me..I remember watching Alex at EI doing brakes and he had a spare star adjustment thing that he used to remember which way it went to make it go in or out.

He said to tighten till it doesn't move and then back off 4 clicks, or was it 5? As long as it was the same for each wheel you were good.

Don't wait till they won't stop you anymore...:-)
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Just in case any one forgot or wasn't around when this happened. Luckily no one was hurt. But just goes to show how important it is to get every part installed correctly.. you only get one shot. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=10780
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

So how is this site useful Erik...sorry never seen it before. do they have tutorials or something ?

thanks jer
ka

Post by ka »

you need to become a member of that forum and log in in order to get to that pic that i think erik was trying to show. is this it?....

1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
krick3tt

steel soldiers

Post by krick3tt »

It is mostly an American Iron site but almost any military vehicle has a forum location. Serious restoration information and a great bunch of people for old iron.
Check it out, have to be a member to post but not to read.

Morris
ka

Post by ka »

i wasn't able to get that pic until i logged in. is that the right pic?
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

I didn't re-read the site, but was that the one where the lug bolts weren't re-torqued?