dang antenna mount bolts

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

ka

dang antenna mount bolts

Post by ka »

i'm gonna take the antenna mt off my 710m today so i can get my repaired top on. i had to CUT the top off due to the bolts being rusted to the threaded inserts, which became spinners when i tried to detach the mt.
now i figure i either must destroy the mount or the rollbar with my drill or cutting torch or phaser set to kill.

i'm wondering if anyone else has been confronted with this sorry choice and what the solution was :cry: .
Last edited by ka on Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Simple vehicle, simple solution.
Drill out the 4 bolts retaining the mount. Once the mount is remove, drill out the nutserts with the original size drill bit. You may need to to use pliers to keep the nutserts from spinning while drilling them out.

Replace the nutserts and bolts.... no brain surgery required :roll:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Use a cutting wheel to remove the top of the bolts. next after removing the mount, cut the bolts off flush and grind the flange off the nutserts. Push them through and install new nutserts.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
ka

Post by ka »

ok i'm gonna go look at that thing again. thx dave and jim. but dave - how do you grab the bling nutsert (it's in the square tube)? if i remember right i cannot get to it in that tube and i think that's when i execute jim's plan.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential