How I spent Christmas and New Year's Day

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

andy

How I spent Christmas and New Year's Day

Post by andy »

About a week before Christmas I was feeding. I had a ton of bags in the back of the 710M and one of the girl's, the other was up front with me. All the way up the highway (15 miles) I kept hearing a ticking noise that sounded like it was coming from the left rear behind the driver's seat.
The noise kept up even on the ranch roads. At the second feeder I had the older girl get out and listen to try to locate the tick.

She indicated that it was coming from the front left wheel. I checked looking for something like wire or brush that might have gotten hung up. Nothing. So we went on, two feeders later, my foot was on the hub step and my heel caught a lug nut. What a surprise when the lug nut fell on the ground.

We finished feeding slowly and nursed the truck home.

When I got home, the first move was to take the wheel off. All 4 of the other lug nuts twisted of at the wheel!

I have CWR wheels and lug nuts on the 710. This is not a slam at CWR, just information.

Dennis, at Lindenengineering, was kind enough to express me 5 new studs and lugnuts and a tool to help insert them. On Christmas Day it was quite and warm enough to get the studs in. The job took about 4 to 5 hours with a whole lot of wrench turning. With my eyes it was hard to tell if the studs where all the way flush with the flange. I had pulled them through enough to get the shoulder and the splines through the hole in the flange.

I used the truck all during the week and it probably worked fine, except for my paranoia.

Today, I redid the studs and found two that I could pull through just a little more. I had enough foresight to have an inspection mirror on hand for the job this time. I then had to readjust the left front brake. The test drive indicated all was well.

I'm posting this not so much as a warning, which it is, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the studs on the wheels breaking? I was browsing the EI website the other day and noticed Scott sells the studs, so apparently there is a market for them.

Does anyone know if the studs are a weak point on the Pinz or if they stress easily or fatigue gets them? I have 9 other wheels to wonder about.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

What are CWR wheels? I think mine are the originals just new tires on them.

Jer Bear
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Who ever put the rim on before the bolts sheared didn't torque them properly! It's not just a pinz lug nut problem. It comes up in the local paper about once a year.
andy

Post by andy »

They are the ones that came with the tires and are set to so you can balance on the rim and not the hub. I doubt they had anything to do with it, but they are definately on the suspect list.

I haven't checked Patrick's website in a long time, but he used to advertise them on it.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Andy, the reason cold war supplied new lug nuts was.

JIM L. WROTE
Be aware you should not use the factory lug nuts with alloy wheels unless the lug seats are properly cut for them. The Pinz lug nuts are a rounded taper while most standard lug nuts are cut to a flat 45 deg angle.
Type as nothing to do with it. Its about when you put the rim on the last time you didn't torque them to rim manufactures specs.

You can google it there are thousands of write ups on it.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

http://metallurgist.com/html/LugNutFailure.htm
Even comes with pretty pictures. hope this helps.
andy

Post by andy »

Could be, last time that wheel was off was when I had the new TrxUs MTs put on. Don't really remember but it was about 7 months ago.

I have the spare on now, but the original wheel at that position doesn't look like the holes are wallowed out. I need bright daylight to tell.

Thanks, Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Andy wrote:Could be, last time that wheel was off was when I had the new TrxUs MTs put on. Don't really remember but it was about 7 months ago.

I have the spare on now, but the original wheel at that position doesn't look like the holes are wallowed out. I need bright daylight to tell.

Thanks, Andy
Your steel Beck rims aren't going to wallow out like the ones in the picture.