Pilot bearing removal

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

cc rider
United States of America

Pilot bearing removal

Post by cc rider »

This post is a follow up to a previous post on a sudden clutch failure last November on my 712. I've ordered a complete clutch kit from EI which includes both the thrust bearing and pilot bearing as well as the clutch wheel and pressure plate.

Problem: I rented a bearing puller from Checker, and just cannot for the life of me get the damned pilot bearing out. No matter how many times I tried, the puller fingers pop out when I turn the hex nut to pull the bearing.

I'm looking at the diagram, and it appears that the pilot bearing is seated in a groove in the flywheel as far as I can tell, (it's called the deep groove ball bearing in the somewhat linguistically challenged manual).

My question is does this bearing require the removal of the flywheel to remove the bearing, or is there a specialty tool to pop it out. I don't want to try the old "push it out with grease trick" as I'd rather do this job by the book.

Other option is to leave the bearing in place, although I feel since I've come this far and have a brand new bearing, might as well get it all done.

Any advice?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

As the service manaul states, you must remove the flywheel to replace the pilot bearing. It is sandwitched between the crank and flywheel :roll:
Flywheel bolts are torqued to 230 ft lbs and are loctited. Heat the bolt heads with a butane torch to soften the loctite :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
cc rider
United States of America

Post by cc rider »

Well, that sure explains a lot!
I had called EI's service department and they said removal of the flywheel was unnecessary! :x
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Do you mind me asking who you were talking to? I know it wasn't me, could it have been Dale? I recall Dale asking me if there was a tool for the pilot bearing and I had said just a standard unit....but that would be assuming you had the flywheel off....

We don't do a clutch job without re-surfacing the flywheel, it's how the job should be done.

I'm guessing their was a little mis-communication, not intentional but still there. Sorry.

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
cc rider
United States of America

Post by cc rider »

Well Scott, it was before Christmas when I called, but if memory serves, I believed it was you I spoke with.

I'm sure it was some kind of miscommunication. These things happen.

My main concern is whether I damaged the old bearing while trying to pull it out. I tried about ten times before deciding to quit. The flywheel is clean and straight when I lay a straight edge across it.

I think I'm getting tired of leaving the Pinz in my driveway and really want to get it mobile again. There's a ton of snow up here in Northern Arizona and my old Cadillac is not really meant for it.

If the pilot bearing fails later on, can I replace it then, or will there be more catastrophic damage if that happens?

Chris
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

If the bearing siezes, it will act like the clutch wont disengage, if it falls apart, front transmission bearing takes the stress :shock:
Best to replace it now. A good 1/2" drive air gun can remove the bolts and resecure them too. Don't forget to loctite the threads.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."