Starter solenoid and stuff

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

justfred

Starter solenoid and stuff

Post by justfred »

(Several part message)

Chock it: I learned again - not the hard way, fortunately - that when I remove the doghouse it tends to disengage the parking brake. My driveway is on a slope; fortunately I had wheel chocks in place, but the lurch gives me a pretty good scare, especially since I'm in the passenger seat at the time, standing on the wheel step. If not for the wheel chocks, I'd be buying my wife a new car!

Starter: My truck usually starts quite easily, harder the longer it's been sitting. This time it's been about two months and all I'm getting is a loud click from the solenoid when I press the button. Batteries are charged up full (26v together). I guess either there's a loose wire somewhere or the starter could be frozen; I think the starter button is intact. I don't really know how the wiring is supposed to go down there, and it's pretty hard to get to without removing the air filter, which I guess is my next step. I've tried tapping on the starter. I might also try gravity-starting it down the hill (I've got plenty of hill!).

Socal Service: While I'm at it, I'd really like to get someone to do some refresh work on the beast. I've checked with Jim Laguardia and not heard back; I'm in San Diego. Mainly I'd like someone who knows wiring and fuel systems to give it a go-over and let me know what needs to be fixed/replaced/ignored.

Towing: I can flat tow the truck with my Rover (Discovery), but apparently that isn't legal unless I have auto brakes in the towed truck (I know, I could tow the Rover with the Pinz, which would be fine if it would start...). Any better solutions than buying/renting a trailer?

Anyhoo, I'm back in here because - can you stand it - it's hot outside and I'm taking a break! If anyone has any suggestions, I appreciate it.
justfred

Post by justfred »

Starter: A couple of whacks with a hammer and it's happy again. Need to start driving it weekly, if not more so.