'Nother Tire Question

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

andy

'Nother Tire Question

Post by andy »

My 712 came with 17" rims and the Yokohama Geolanders which I don't trust and they are wearing rapidly.

My 710 has the Interco TRXUS MTs and, after 2 sets, I've never had so much as a slow leak. I want them for the 712.

Interco lists these specs for their 17" tire:

33/12.50R-17, Radial Trxus Mud Terrain Load Range E Max Load 3085 Tread Depth 19/32 Overall Diameter = 33.2 Black Side Wall

The question is: Is 33.2 inches Overall too big? Besides lowering top end speed any chance of damaging wheel components like bearings and stuff? There are probably other questions I should be asking but don't know enough to ask. So please fill me in if you know.

Thanks,

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

What kind of wheels do you have that are 17" ?
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

You will actually be increasing your top speed. But it will be harder to maintain that speed on inclines. My 712 is runnning 34" and is plenty happy As for bearing wear etc you should be more than ok. To bad you dont like the yokos. There good tires minus how fast they wear and slightly weak side walls. Many years ago they were the tire of choice for many expedition type people here in the us.
andy

Post by andy »

Mark these are the ones:

http://www.hummerproducts.com/Pinzgauer%20Wheels.htm

They are the same ones as on Brian Mason's 712 in the Pinzgauer Pimped youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2zJXoESE6w

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
andy

Post by andy »

dokatd...For the majority of my use the Geolanders are too soft. They are very quiet on the highway, but over half my driving is on roads like this and much worse.

When I go off road on the ranches (which is frequent) almost every pieces of vegation has thorns or is hard enough to puncture a side wall.

A bar F
The buck STARTS here
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Yep, I understand. I'm from Texas and have spent alot of time on deer leases. I don't recommend truxxus tires for that type of driving. Consider the ltb series and the tsl series. Truxxus series are basically standard tires designed for street life. And as cheesy as they are, thronbirds are almost indestructible in that type of terrain and are nicer on road than LTB's and TSL's since I'm not used to dealing in tires this small I'm not sure what sizes are available from interco at this time but the ltb's are all smaller tires and happens to be what I have on my pinz.

Stay away from the ssr's. They chunk badly.
andy

Post by andy »

Thanks, I'll check, but if memory serves those are bias tires. On my Ford diesel 4 X 4 I only get about 8 months out of a tire. The trxus last twice that long and like I said I've never had even a slow air leak. I'll keep searching and catch something on sale.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

OK got off my phone and on a real comp. Sadly, your 17" rims really hurt you on tire selection. And in general your looking at pretty soft tires. Wear is usually based on the amount of silica in the tire. Take note of the sidewall ply rating vs. the truxxus 2 ply which is likely the same ply and thickness of your geolanders. A plain old BFG mud terrain might be your cheapest most durable all around value tire. Bottom line is that the BFG can be had anywhere, and they have realtively hard tread. This of course means longer wear. Also they will balance far better than any other option.

LTB's 34x10.50-17LT 4 ply side wall 8 ply tread

Thornbirds sadly a bit large 35x12.50-17LT 4 ply side wall 8 ply tread

LT285/70R17/D BFG mud KM2

LT255/75R17/C BFG mud KM
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

33.2 not the problem its the width that going to make the tire rub.
buzzz

Post by buzzz »

Andy just a thought. google federal tires and click onglobal truck tire supply truck tre manufactor. I saw theses tires on the back of a 2wd the owner said he got 90thousand miles out of the last set (on road driving) they have 3 sizes in 17s. I am thinking of trying theses in 16s on my 710 when i replace the old tires.couragia m/t

cheers
Buzzz
buzzz

Post by buzzz »

Well as usual I didnt read far enough. After looking at the site again the 17s are in the planing stage.
ops
Buzzz
andy

Post by andy »

Eric. The width thing already seems to be a problem with the Geolanders. I'll be looking for something more narrow.

I've looked at BFGs a little bit online They are easier to find even in Del Rio, Tx. I had a set of BFG Longtrails on a Z71 1/2 ton about 7 years ago and they were fine. They didn't hold up for diddley on a 3/4 ton F250 diesel though.

dokatd...yep, 17" rims limit your choices in tires for stuff under about 35" tall. I appreciate your information and the pics.

I'm just in the tire kicking stage (pun intended) right now. The more plys and thicker the sidewalls the happier I'll be. Since I'm scaling back the business after Jan 20th (I don't share well) load rating won't be quite as important.

Thanks and if there is more information or things I should consider please don't hesitate to tell me.

Cheers

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

dokatd,

You jogged my memory mentioning the TSL Thornbirds. I've always wondered if they'd acutally fit on a Pinz. I once had them on a '91 Ford Ranger PU, and loved them. They actually wore very evenly for their width (13", IIRC) and gripped really well in my use. Plus, when you pull up next to a passenger car, and those big side lugs are about mid-way up their windows, they give you that "there's-a-crazy-ba$tard-in-the-car-next-door" look. But their kids love it.

I'm also currently running Yokohamas, but will be choosing something different next time. They're OK onroad, and that's a lot of my driving, but that's about it. Off-road (at least where Pinzgauers can go) they leave a bit to be desired!
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

O.K. now I know the wheels. On a side note I had L.R. wheels(w/the evil spacers..Whatervr) on my 712 and I really tore them up on rocks,I took the remaining good ones and put them on my 710. A wider stance feels good on a 710. Back to my point,narrow tires(less side wall bulge) will make your wheels more vulnerable to rocks. Just my little contribution to your thought process... :lol: It it takes some thought as there are a lot of tires on a 712. I went with Big-O tires on my 712,going more for tall than wide,they suck and besides I found out they were discontinued while looking to get a 2nd spare. What REALLY burned me is they were discontnued when I bought them and they said nothing.. :x
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
andy

Post by andy »

There's always Toyos. I use them on the F 250 because they are inexpensive (comparatively) to replace. They are susceptible to leaks and flats but not too much sidewall damage. A leak I can usually catch in time to plug if I'm out, but I hate sidewall damage. I used 8 or 9 plugs one time to patch a hole in a sidewall just so I could get off the ranch.

The 712 is pretty tough to turn at slow speeds on the ranches. I'm talking about a 3 point job, not going around a curve or a corner. It's even worse when you are locked up and the front tires are rubbing the inside of the wheel well. I'm not too worried about a little taller because I normally don't go fast enough to sweat bottoming out. I just don't want problems with bearings, or God forbid lug nuts and studs again.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here