Rubber gasket for door tops

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Rubber gasket for door tops

Post by GenevaPinz »

Hello,

My pinz has been in the shop for quite a while now, as it was rotten by rust in a few (please read: too many) places...

The front doors have been fully disassembled before being re-painted, and I am trying to find a replacement for the rubber gasket that sits between the two door halves (between the bottom and the removable top). Unfortunately, I was not there when the original gasket was removed and thrown away, so I have no idea what it looks like...

The parts manual that I have (which is the swiss army version, not the original manufacturer's document) mentions a part number 711.2.61.093.8/07 (Groups 28.05 and 28.10), named "waterproofing ribbon 25x5" (freely translated :? ).

I will not necessarily try to replace it with OEM pieces as this looks just like any other strip of rubber... Can you please just point me into the right direction regarding the thickness of this piece? I would be tempted to think it is 5 milimeters from the "25x5" mention... but I'd rather be sure.

Thanks in advance,
Take care,

Jan
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

I have a slight "leakage" problem in the same spot so some advice on the right replacement unit would be appreciated.
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

I replaced mine with thin styrafoam sill sealer; a blue closed cell thin insulation used here in the west to seal the gap between the concrete foundation and the wood walls in new house construction. I only needed about a 2" strip for each side and easily found some scraps at new house construction for free. Much better seal than original.
I glued the insulation to the door tops with contact cement, so that the sealer stays with the doop tops when I take them off.
Michael
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Jan
You're correct. the 25 x 5 is mm. In the US, roughly 1" x 3/16".
Almost any compression foam or rubber will work.
Hollow metal door seal will work, typically only 1/2" wide ( and available in 3/16" and 1/4" thicknesses), but you apply 2 rows of the materials, side by side.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

I have located a source of 3M brand self-adhesive insulating foam tape in suitable dimensions.

Thanks a lot to all for your help! :D

Jan
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M