Spare Wire? Help

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

captxmas

Spare Wire? Help

Post by captxmas »

Ok, so my efforts to find the problem with the 4500 rpm control module continue. If you remember my previous post, the 4500 light stays on all the time. At least it comes on now that I have a used module installed.

Here is the new dilemna. While checking and making sure connections are tight and clean, I found an orange/rust/redish colored wire taped off and disconnected under the dash. The wire originates from a socket in the warnng light cluster in the dash. It comes from alternator charging light circuit on the back of the bulb socket (lightning bolt image w/ red light). There are four wires, three of them are light blue and then this redish one.

Anybody know where it goes????

It hangs like it goes into the small panel attached to the front of the steering wheel shaft. The one with the four relays and two green connector blocks. If it goes here does anyone know what number connector I should attach it to?

Scott at EI siad that the 4500 module recieved some signal from the alternator. If so maybe this is the source of the problem and I can screw it all back to gether as soon as I hear from one of you.

Thanks again. I didn't see this issue on any prior posts.

Oh, for all you residents of the USA....Happy MLK day and inaugruation day tomorrow. We'll hope for a bright future.......skeptically but hopefully.
Capt Xmas
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

I would suspect the used module is bad or has a stuck contact.
Open the module and push down on the field winding(they tend to come loose) and see if the light goes out. The light should flash once as the key is turned on.
Just so you understand it's function, above 4500 rpm the module grounds out the ignition points as it diverts voltage to the light.
To use a naval term, it is in essence a dunsel( a useless part).
As long as you are below 70 mph in 5th gear with stock tires(710) the engine is below 4500 rpm.
The orange wire you refer to is usually an extra in the harness that is model specific.
You will find it in the schematic in the glove box(Swiss models).
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

Sounds like you have a Pinzgauer from the Swiss army. That orange wire goes all the way to the rear lights. We, in Europe use this wire to convert the lights in order to make them street legal as the swiss army normally uses the yellow lights as brakes and the red lights as driving lights and turn lights.

You can see where the wire comes out on the right side of the casing ends up in the bottom, is looped and then taped.

Regards,

Jacques
captxmas

Spare Wire....

Post by captxmas »

Jim,

One day I'd love to meet you. What a knowledge base. I taped off the wire as it does appear to be a spare. Also checked the parts in the 4500 rpm module and dicovered no vibration, clicking, or indication of an activation. So....Closed it up, reconnected the old unit ( without any light activation) and hooked it back up.

I guess life is good but it feels strange having a part that someone felt important enough to include that does not work. The only reason I'd want it was to alert my son on a highway down hill run.

Thanks again, and I hope I can use your brain again in the future.

John
Capt Xmas
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Dunsel is an actual word? I remember hearing the term in a Star Trek episode entitled "The Ultimate Computer", where a Star Fleet officer refers to Captain Kirk as Captain Dunsel. Spock explains the meaning, which collaberates with what Jim said in a earlier post. Hey, if I can't help with technical advice I might as well spice things up with useless trivia!