cut off switch

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

krick3tt

cut off switch

Post by krick3tt »

To the electrical wizards out there...

I have two 24v to 12v converters. One (A) for the Webasto (with fuse) professionally installed, and one (B) for the other 12v items (CB, radio, etc) I remove the main battery cut-off sw each time I leave the vehicle, even if just to run into the store for something.

I leave the battery on when camping as the ARB cooler is used then. It draws from the 24v power and not from converters. Running it at night has not interferred with starting in the morning. Lower power amp draw on 24v than 12v.

I was advised to install a switch in the line to the original (B) 24-12 to keep the battery from discharging accidentially or when using the ARB to keep from additional discharge at night. This was before the Webasto was installed.

If the Webasto (A) is not in use and the radio and CB (B) are not in use, does the converter still draw power? Enough to cause a complication if the pinz sits for several weeks between uses.

Happy trails,
Morris
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

A short simple answer, yes. Anytime a converter is hooked to power it is drawing power, even if the items attached to it are powered off. Most converters will drain the batteries in as little as 3 days.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

bee my experience too. That's why i just shut off the cutoff switch..otherwise you need to put switches in that kill the converters.

Jer Bear
pinzwheeling

Re: cut off switch

Post by pinzwheeling »

krick3tt wrote:To the electrical wizards out there...

I have two 24v to 12v converters. One (A) for the Webasto (with fuse) professionally installed, and one (B) for the other 12v items (CB, radio, etc) I remove the main battery cut-off sw each time I leave the vehicle, even if just to run into the store for something.

I leave the battery on when camping as the ARB cooler is used then. It draws from the 24v power and not from converters. Running it at night has not interferred with starting in the morning. Lower power amp draw on 24v than 12v.

I was advised to install a switch in the line to the original (B) 24-12 to keep the battery from discharging accidentially or when using the ARB to keep from additional discharge at night. This was before the Webasto was installed.

If the Webasto (A) is not in use and the radio and CB (B) are not in use, does the converter still draw power? Enough to cause a complication if the pinz sits for several weeks between uses.

Happy trails,
Morris
Don't your solar panels keep everything charged? BTW, hows the great NW?
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
krick3tt

keeping charged

Post by krick3tt »

No Michael,

I took the panel off for awhile. Besides it is so cloudy here and I am surrounded by huge pines I hardly see the sun. Great view off the back porch of Puget Sound and across to Seattle.

But...I am moving to Denver in April so there will be more sun there. Half of my family is in San Diego and the other half in Denver, I guess I will be traveling that route a bit in the future.

Happy trails,
Morris
andy

Post by andy »

Morris, none of my business really, but didn't you just move to the Seattle area not too long ago?

Can't say as I blame you for going to Denver, I don't think I could deal with constant overcast and rain. :( But, seeing how dry it is here right now, I'd be willing to try it for a week. :lol: :roll:

I have always liked Colorado and the mountains. Denver area would be cool because of the other Pinz owners and if you have a big problem Dennis is right there in Golden.

I could probably stand living there from about July 30 to August 15th. The rest of the time it'd be too cold for me. :lol: :lol:

Good luck on the move. Moving ain't bad, it's the unpacking and trying to find your stuff again that sucks.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
krick3tt

cut off switch

Post by krick3tt »

Yeah Andy, not a problem about the business thing. Thanks

We have been here about a year and a half, thought I would give it a fair good try.

Just can't seem to handle the clouds. The people up here are really great, I found a good group to wheel with and the trees and the air, even the water is good, right out of the tap. Even the rain isn't a problem, but the grey gets to me, long way from family.

We retired and thought it would be a great place, and it is except that we spend lots of time on planes going to visit family. Might as well live closer to them. ...and,now that we are retired, we are quite portable and can live anywhere.

Cold is not that big a problem, but, I like the sun. There are more sunny days in CO than in southern CA. Hard to believe. Maybe I'll even go back to work a bit to ease my mind. Miss the problem solving. ...but then, maybe I'll take up fly fishing. Who knows.
Dennis has done a fair bit of work for me already, he has my engine and it should be ready by the time I get back there.

I'm gonna lable things better this time so it is not such a PITA to figure what's in the box.

Life is one grand adventure...fasten your sealt belt, hold on and smile.

Cheers
andy

Post by andy »

DC was like that when I had to live there. Like living in a tunnel, grey skies, concrete and trees or buidlngs every where.

We had people where I worked that suffered from SAD, seasonal affective disorder. The grey gloom depressed them. And they wouldn't leave?

Good luck with it all.

Cheers,

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
pinzwheeling

Re: keeping charged

Post by pinzwheeling »

krick3tt wrote:No Michael,

I took the panel off for awhile. Besides it is so cloudy here and I am surrounded by huge pines I hardly see the sun. Great view off the back porch of Puget Sound and across to Seattle.

But...I am moving to Denver in April so there will be more sun there. Half of my family is in San Diego and the other half in Denver, I guess I will be traveling that route a bit in the future.

Happy trails,
Morris
Too bad your not thinking about San Diego, houses are much cheaper here now. Heck, you could probably buy your old house back for half price.
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com