New 712M owner

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Ali

New 712M owner

Post by Ali »

Hi all

I bought a 712M recently and I need some clarification

How hard is the clutch pedal to depress? The shifting is normal but very hard!! Is it normal???

How is the correct way to shift the reverse gear???

If someone has the owner manual in PDF format, please send me to : alisalim99@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

In all the trucks that I have driven, the clutch is as easy as any vehicle to operate. If the clutch releases properly then the shifting should be smooth and easy (assuming the right tranny oil is used, and it is not too cold). Reverse in these trucks can be tricky, but is easy to adjust: you need to push the shifer DOWN (towards the ground) and while holding it down, push away from you into reverse. The pin and plate that prevents getting into reverse without pushing down are often not postioned right; lie on the ground and look at the shifter where it exits through the floorboards, and have a helper attempt to shift in and out of reverse. It is easy to see what is going on, and just loosen the bolts that hold the plate and move it so it goes smoothly into reverse when pushed down. Not hard, just hard to envision until you see it work from below.

I can't say what might be making your clutch or your shifting hard (the mechanical experts can better help here) but the reverse lockout is rather easy.

Best of luck,

Jim M.
712W and 710M
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

Jimm391730 is right on, I had a rough time getting into reverse, did just what he said (found it on my own - by looking under for a problem?) bingo bango.... done!

So where are you? and where did you get your 712?
Pinzing is AWESOME.
Jon_Gilbart

Shfiting into reverse

Post by Jon_Gilbart »

If I'm not mistaken, I believe you are supposed to push the shifter all the way to the left until you feel resistance, then push a little further until you can't go further left (like you're going into 1st), THEN push the shifter down, THEN push the shifter forward. When I tried to push the shifter down, then go all the way to the left and up, reverse was difficult to find and sloppy. I can't remember if I read this in the owner's manual or somewhere else, but ever since I started shifting using the 1st sequence listed above, it has been very easy to find. Hope this helps. -Jon
Ali

Post by Ali »

Thank you all Jimm391730, Kirby and Jon.
I will try to see it from under the Truck.

Kirby my location is in the Middle East, my country called Oman.
I got a 712M & 712K from my country army auction.

Thanks all
andy

Post by andy »

Ali, welcome. I think a 712K would be a lot of fun.

If I may ask, what did Oman replace the Pinzgauers with? More Pinzgauers...the 716's and 718's, or with something different? Just curious.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
Ali

Post by Ali »

Hi Andy

still some 712 & also the 718 in service but recently i saw Panhard in service.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VBL

Ali
andy

Post by andy »

Ali, interesting. Panhard has a TD and what appears to be a fairly decent operating range. Is the Panhard capable of carrying 12 to 14 troops like the 712? I noticed from your link that the US has some also.

Amzaing what you can learn on this site.

Thanks,

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
Ali

Post by Ali »

Andy, you are most welcome

the Panhard is carrying upto 3 troops,
VAB by Renault is in service here to carry 12 troops,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A9hic ... lind%C3%A9

Ali
andy

Post by andy »

Ali, thank you again for the information and an interesting link. I'm tempted to make some sort of snide comment about French military vehicles having 5 reverse gears and one forward, :lol: but I won't.

Both vehicle must have something going for them to be in such wide spread use.

Thank you again,

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here