smoke from defrost vents

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

buzzz

smoke from defrost vents

Post by buzzz »

While turning around on a rough road the pinz went dead. I restarted and finished my turn. I killed the engine and smoke came out of the defrost vents for 2 to 3 seconds, fan motor was not on. I have been having some problems starting (starter not catching every time ) but cant see how that would put smoke in the vents. Only did it that one time. A thoughts on what I might check?
Thanks
Buzzz
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Either water got into the heat exchanger, or exhaust entered somewhere.
It also could have entered through the preheat hose (which is connected to the duct work)if it coughed when it stalled :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
buzzz

Post by buzzz »

Thanks Jim, Im not as worried about it now. Next worrie will be the starter.
Thanks again
Buzzz
STPPINZ

Post by STPPINZ »

I once had sparks coming out of the passenger vent. Not a lot, just every once in a while after having the heater fan on. After racking my brain I couldn't figure it out. I took off the vent hose and found a wad of napkins in it. I couldn't believe the heat would get so hot to ignite paper...It was pretty funny. I guess that is how you know your heat exchanger is working.
Wimps Need Not Apply
buzzz

Post by buzzz »

I was on a deer lease about to go hunting but could not get the smoke off my mind. got all muddy under the pinz looking for bad connections. thanks to people like Jim sharing his knowlege I wont worry next time it happens. :D
cheers
Buzzz
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

And, if you Pinz does happen to burn to the ground, all of our advice comes with a money back guarantee!!! :shock:
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

If it were me I'd do a co2 in the cab with the motor running and the fan on. Just in case there is an opening in one of the exhaust pipes in the heat exchanger. Walmart has some cheap ones for home use, use it one time to check levels and install it in the home after wards.

Erik
buzzz

Post by buzzz »

EvanH I love those forum guarantees! Good idea Erik.
Thanks
Buzzz