Fuel Pump ?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

landy

Fuel Pump ?

Post by landy »

The stock mechanical fuel pump on my Pinz appears to be failing. After sitting a couple of weeks, it takes a long time to pump fuel to the carbs. It starts fine if it's been sitting a few days or so.

In looking at the parts diagram, there are a couple of membrane pieces. I assume these must degrade over time. Do the springs need to be replaced as well?

I saw rebuild kits on some of the vendors' websites, so what's the opinion on rebuilding the pump vs. a new one? Looks like new ones are quite expensive! Does a rebuilt one last for a while ? Thanks.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

A rebuild will last years if done correctly. Very cost effective too.
I would start looking at your fuel supply line or any fuel fired heater feed hoses before ruling on a pump.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I've rebuilt a fuel pump using the kit that Swiss Army sells and it worked out very well. I also replaced the fuel pump axle (#7121085591) as the old one was grooved.

I also had Thilo at T-Lo's Ultimate Offroad rebuild 2 pumps for me and both came back better than brand new and far better than anything I could have done.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
landy

Post by landy »

Thanks, guys. Jim, if the truck starts fine after sitting a few days, but doesn't after being idle for longer periods, why would you suspect a fuel line supply problem? There's no fuel-fired heater. Thanks!