ZF 4HP22 bolt pattern

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

SAM. C.

Top Down Design

Post by SAM. C. »

With the Pinzgauer (and Haflinger), you've got to get your head around the fact that that they built "old school"...everything was done on drawing boards and not to a cost....No CAD component libraries from Borg or ZF or Dana or Delco, ASM, Fortuna etc etc, that engineers can use to "Leggo-up" an assembly.
Cost wasn't that important to SDP....Function and quality was everything.
That is what I love about the Pinzgauer. I drove a Landy 101 Radio Van for a while and it was through that vehicle I got into Pinzgauers. The concept of a 1 tonne vehicle that was built to military spec (up to a standard not down to a cost) was what appealed to me. Having had both a Pinz and an ex British army 101 the difference is blindingly obvious every time I take a spanner to the Pinz the amount of thought that has gone into producing an integrated complete design never fails to make me smile.

Anyway I know it is a bit off subject but that is my 2 cents worth and I am sure you all agree.

Sam
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

The flinstone mobile is based off a dual symetrical torque tube chassis. With options like 4 and as much as 8 foot drive. And it's inherent stability is due to the low cg created by bias cut 22" stone wheels. Truely a design far ahead of it's time.
Obviously, the Flintstone mobile was designed by Hans great-great-great-great-grandfather, and the design stolen by Hanna-Barbera... :lol:

Jim M.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Dokatd, Did you ever look at the volvo 740 Tranny? How'd it look?
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

the 740 tranny is ideal for the pinz, but I cant do anything else untill I either get a pinz bell housing to borrow for a bit, or get time to take my tranny out of the pinz. If I have to wait to remove my tranny it wont happen untill we get warmer days here so I can drive my topless mog and my motorcycle.

Anybody got an extra bell housing sitting around that I can borrow.
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

dokatd wrote:I said with more clarification, all the components you find on a pinz are not unique in that they have all been done before by other manufacturers. Not all on one vehicle, but scattered across the great history of vehicles.
You might it interesting to see how intertwined VW/Porsche/Tatra/Pinzgauer history really is:

< http://www.pinztrek.com/pinz/steyr_history.htm >

When you dig very deep, you'll find lot's of overlap, and certain ideas (like Porsche as father of the VW) may not be as accurate as we thought. Certainly not the whole story. I need to update some of the links, but I've had lot's of interest/input from Tatra/Steyr fans in Europe on the strange tale of Ludvinka and Porsche. (and how it relates to pinzgauers)

No surprise, I guess... history is written by the victors. Germany was victor over eastern Europe early on.

This has nothing to do with tranny swapping, I wish you luck. Any time we find workable alternatives it's a win for the pinz community.

Peter is right (as he usually is) about the pinz designers. Very little about the pinz was done by accident. They would not compromise the engineering to use an off the shelf item. This is one very large difference between the haffie/pinz's and the Volvo's. Also makes it harder to swap parts, but not impossible.

Certain aspects of the air cooled engine design (cam timing, valve size, intake size, etc) which frustrate our attempts to increase HP are actually the result of SDP trying for an extremely flat torque curve, closer to diesel performance than most small gassers.

On the drivetrain issue, torque is the key limit based on all I have seen and heard from individuals who were there at the factory when the pinz was designed & tested. Peak torque on the drive train is far more likely to be reached at .5 mph in low range with a wheel riding over a boulder on sandstone than ever on the road. Yet, as we all know, HP & Torque are directly related.

You can explode a pinz clutch by overspeed, frag a driveshaft due to vibration, but I'm not aware of many diff/hub failures from torque alone. Does not mean it can't happen, just not a common failure mode even with higher HP engines than the pinz aircooled. (and yes, there are multiple engine swaps that were higher HP/torque than the pinz)

Again, another example of factory overengineering. Stronger drivetrain was a design objective with the engineers.... straight cut gears are stronger than helical. Think about the dual crown wheel design of the pinz, and how that splits torque on each gearset. I'm sure you could frag them with a V-8 and 38" tires. But even hopped up 2.7l pinz engines with 34" tires do not seem to.

Interesting thread, and lot's of good data on the trannies. If all that comes out of it is better understanding of possible donor parts this is a win for us all!

have fun,

Alan
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

The broken link in my Ledwinka/Porsche history is on the T-97. You can get the general scoop here:

< http://www.tatra.demon.nl/cars_history_T97.htm >

Net-net, there is pretty strong written and empirical evidence that Porsche lifted most of the beetle design from the Tatra T-97 designed by the Ledwinka's (Hans and/or Erich).

The resemblance and certain design features are just too close to be coincidence.

And the pinz connection is the famous Tatra Ledwinka is the dad of the pinz Ledwinka. :-) The VW connection may be closer than that, as Erich Ledwinka may have done the final design on the Tatra T-97 prior to becoming chief designed at SDP in the 50's.

Have fun,

Alan
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

So Alan, with you knowing the (stock 2.5) pinz engine and its characteristics. What are your thoughts on how it will perform? Again I know speculative until it is actually done.

K.C., I found a few post, pics on the pirate forum of the frankenstein. pretty neat stuff. Really like the CTS in one of the threads.
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

Erik712m wrote:So Alan, with you knowing the (stock 2.5) pinz engine and its characteristics. What are your thoughts on how it will perform? Again I know speculative until it is actually done.
Wow, lot's of variables in the mix. The trick will be to find a tranny tuned for similar torque curve & shift points. Or be prepared to tune it yourself or change the pinz effective gearing (tires, etc).

I'll defer to the tranny experts on what that combination would be or whether it's practical. I do know that similar A/T's are in wide usage behind small diesels with torque curves not that different from ours.

And throwing EFI in the mix will change the dynamics. I found with much increased low end torque that I shift much less, tending to stay in the higher gears. Likewise, when I switched back to my normal 34" tires from the stock ones we used for initial testing my driving patterns changed again. Combinations that used to lug, now is comfortable. I rarely start in 1st now, and suprisingly, highway hill performance is better with the taller tires. Just about every pinz EFI system has reported much increased low end torque as a beneficial side effect, so it will need to be taken into account.

So as you asked for speculation :-), between the multiple engine configs we collectively have on the road now (2.5, 2.7, carb, 5 efi schemes, etc) , and different tire sizes, there should be some workable combination. I'd start by looking at the ZF's used behind small diesels. Not just VW, but also BMW, etc.

I'm a fan of auto's for 4wd usage. Having owned many examples of both, I just flat out find A/T's break loose less, and are more drivable offroad. (Heresy to the boulder crowd out west, I suspect) If a workable system is identified, I'd be willing to give it a shot.

have fun,

Alan

PS: Currently all seats full headed south to Steel Soldiers. Herbert's pinz has no rear seat's, I'm full up with passengers & gear. If we run out of room, I may elect to flat tow mine down, so the seating situation may change. Where would you be coming from?
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Erik, make sure you were looking at frankenrover not frankenstein or frankentoy. The one I built was a Land rover and was maroon. I only say that because of the CTS comment. Not really sure I know that abbreviation.

And Alan, auto trannies are pretty much a requirement for any serious rock buggy etc. You will not find a manual tranny in any comp rigs. The offroad world belongs to autos hands down.

Here are some photos to more or less introduce myself and what I consider fun offroading. Sadly very few of my mogs

Thats me in the camo
Another truck I did major work on

My mog before I went to coilovers

Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Heresy to the boulder crowd out west, I suspect
Alan, Not cool.

I'm west of you. Its like me replying. You don't want to post pic's because (OEM) in the hills near you is duct tape and baling wire. :D
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

Erik712m wrote: I'm west of you. Its like me replying. You don't want to post pic's because (OEM) in the hills near you is duct tape and baling wire. :D
Shoot, our secret is out! :-) I imagine some pics will surface after the steel soldiers meet. I might go ahead and take some more, as I suspect after some running around down there things will be much dirtier. Mine's dusty now, but nothing like black mud. I see Russ and others have all added snorkels...... on the first FL treffen I found some trails that had water in the door cracks & bow wave up onto the windshield. Since they've got snorkels now I suspect they know something I do not! :-)

Re Trannies: Based on Doka's response, I guess the tradition west coast preference for manual's have changed. Used to be a really big thing. Makes sense, however, I can't imagine the extreme bouldering would be easier with manuals than with AT's. The main issue used to be downhill compression braking. But I guess the uphill's have caught up with that.

No idea how an AT will do in a gasser pinz until someone tries it, and even then it make take some tries to get it right. I'm not in a hurry to convert, but have become spoiled with my Cummins HO Ram... killer torque with a strong AT sure makes for smooth pulling and offroad traction. Even with milder AT tires on the ram, just don't spin much in the GA clay compared to clutch starts. my 4th 4wd with an AT, and never looked back. Still have the manual pinz & a diesel 4wd pooper that I revived from the dead for comparison.

At any rate, I'll let you know if the seating situation changes for the FL trip.

Alan