swapping out the original front seats

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

texas pinzgauer

swapping out the original front seats

Post by texas pinzgauer »

It sounds like folks are much more comfortable using seats they've scavenged from any number of other types of vehicles (in Europe, it sounds like the seats from a Smart work well).

Has someone come up with a "standard" seat frame that they have fabricated that works well with the seats from a...whatever?

I'm looking for the easiest / most cost effective upgrade to more comfortable seating and their frames.

Any suggestions and photos of what you come up with will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
WolfgangK

Post by WolfgangK »

Maybe you want to take a look at these pictures: http://pinzforum.kiruna.de/viewtopic.php?t=1928

I used the seats from a Smart, as they are small enough and very low.

Especially on the co-driver side there is only very limited space available, there aren't too many seats that fit.

You also need to watch the height, there is no room for high consoles. If the seat is mounted too high, you hit the roll bar with your head.

The last criteria is the weight. To access the engine you have to be able to lift them out from time to time. Don't take a too heavy seat...

I mounted the seat on the stock rails plus an adapter made of 30mm angle iron. You see the adapter in one of the pictures (sorry, the only one I have), hopefully it gives you an idea of the part. I don't think there is something like a 'standard' seat frame, as every seat is different.

Wolfgang
todds112

Post by todds112 »

Smart Car seats looks really nice. Unfortunately, unless I steal a set out of one of the cars in town, it's probably not a viable option.
1973 712M
KINSPINZ

Post by KINSPINZ »

Alot of us here have used honda CRX seats. You need to have a seat that is about 19" or smaller. The passanger side will not fit much wider than that. I paid $150 for both of mine that were pretty much brand new on EBAY. I made a hard mount install to where they Dont adjust forward and back. Pretty easy to figure out what needs to be done when you have the seats.

mike
ITS NOT A F*&$%*# HUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

E.I. Seats

Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

HAD710

Cheap seats

Post by HAD710 »

I played around with a couple of different seat options and never found anything that would get me lower in the 710 than the stock seats

What I finally came back to that I am pretty happy with is a piece of 3" seat foam cut to the same shape as the original seat base and covered with vinyl that is a basic pillow

On the drivers side I just pulled the wood based seat pad and replaced it with the pillow sitting in the seat pan, on the pass side I riveted a piece of metal to the bottom of the seat frame and set the pillow on that

That lowered me at least 2" in the truck and I never feel the odd shapes of the drivers seat pan and I have a skinny bony butt (6'2" 180lb)

I used bulk 1/4 shock cord from REI to lace back and forth thru the seat back to replace the old rubber and varying the number of passes thru each of the channels gave alot of extra lumbar support
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

I liked those Corbeau seats and I'll certainly consider those if I find an extra $1000 in the seat cushions of our sofa! :shock:

I think something used from a recycling (AKA junk) yard is going to be a better option for me.
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Texas, You might try VW Jetta. I have had my seats out of the jettas for cleaning and they look like they would fit. If you are at the parts yard just take a tape I'm sure there are a lot of compact car seats that would work.
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

I have a set of Bestop seats and they are some of the best I've tried. Very low (almost non-existent) bolstering on the seat bottom and about 1/2 inch higher than stock seats.
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

texas pinzgauer wrote:I liked those Corbeau seats and I'll certainly consider those if I find an extra $1000 in the seat cushions of our sofa! :shock:

I think something used from a recycling (AKA junk) yard is going to be a better option for me.
Another option you might try on the factory seats is duct tape. I've heard of other pinz owners using it. Might save you a couple of $$.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

pinzwheeling said:
I have a set of Bestop seats and they are some of the best I've tried. Very low (almost non-existent) bolstering on the seat bottom and about 1/2 inch higher than stock seats.
Do you happen to have the model number/style that you used?

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I like my Recaro's, but it took a fair bit of engine cover modification to get them in! :wink:
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
andy

Post by andy »

My 710 has the Recaro knockoffs from CWR and the 712 has some Honda seats. Which model Honda I don't knw. I would not recommend the CWR seats, not that they aren't cofortable, but they have not held up.

The Honda seats in the 712 are much more comfortable. My 5' tall daughter can drive the 712 with the Honda seats and can't reach the pedals on the 71o with the CWR seats.

Both types could be lower to enhance the view from the cab and I'm only about 6' tall.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
Bruce Berger

Post by Bruce Berger »

This topic seems to come up on a regular basis. Awhile back I made a post on the Rhino seats I installed.

viewtopic.php?t=3334&highlight=rhino

The nice thing about Rhino seats is that they are readily available new in a wide range of prices and they fit on the passenger side. I mounted them on a set of stock seat frames I bought from Andre Swanson.

The modification to the seat frames was simply to have a couple of pieces of flat stock welded across on the frame and then cut off the back and drill a couple of holes in the new cross bars to mount the seat and your done.
Bruce Berger
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
mit Beck-LaGuardia Elektronischer Einspritzung