headlight install

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

purplePinzer

headlight install

Post by purplePinzer »

I got new headlights but i am not to sure how to get the old ones out haha, help!
72 710m blurple paint!
krick3tt

headlight install

Post by krick3tt »

I just replaced mine, new bulbs from EI. The screws at the bottom of the rim were a bit nasty to get out (rusty) but after that no real issue. PM me if you want a play by play.

Morris
texas pinzgauer

headlights

Post by texas pinzgauer »

I can help you with this as I just installed the KILLER H-4 headlight set from EI...one of the most useful and beneficial upgrades you can make to your Pinzgauer. There's a screw (could be straight blade or philips) at the bottom of the headlight retaining ring. Remove that and swing that retaining ring in an upward arch (there's a little notch at the top.

Once you have it out, you'll see three very small screws in a retaining ring that you remove. Once those are out, you gently work the headlight assembly out and I used a small screw driver to remove the plug at the rear.

While the outward most ring was out, I roughed it up with some fine sandpaper and resprayed it and also used some vinyl protectant on the foam gasket just inside that outer most ring.

Same directions to reinstall. Hope this helps.
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

There's a screw (could be straight blade or philips) at the bottom of the headlight retaining ring. Remove that and swing that retaining ring in an upward arch (there's a little notch at the top.
If you use a LONG bladed screwdriver, you might note that there is a convenient hole in the bumperettes that let you get to the bottom screw at the correct angle.

Jim M.
krick3tt

headlight install

Post by krick3tt »

Yeah, I was thinking about that as I tried to get a screwdriver past my custom bumper. The one I got from EI that holds my winch.

Had to use a very short one and that did not have much torque to turn the rusty screw.

Sometimes the mods can get the better of you. Just have to be flexible.

Morris
texas pinzgauer

I had to nearly remove the custom bumper that Thilo had fabricated for my truck too.

So the easy 15 minute project took a bit longer to complete.

Installing the H4 lights is definitely worth the trouble.
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

I am sure the H4s are an improvement over the original headlights, but personally I chose to only upgrade the lightbulbs. The thing that I don't like with replacing the full headlights with H4s was losing the parking lights...

Jan
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
texas pinzgauer

headlights

Jan,

I had the same thought when I cut those parking light wires but I was already committed by that point in the project. If keeping that parking light capability is a priority then Jan's approach is a better alternative to a total assembly replacement.

David
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

krick3tt

headlight install

Post by krick3tt »

I only did the bulbs. Did not want to lose anything that was there already, but while everything was out I cleaned, sanded and repainted everything except the shiny surface. Even reglued the rubber that was starting to come apart and get loose. At least the mysterious part is no longer.
Every time I do something I learn more about this vehicle. I think that is where the guys that do a total rebuild have it all over the rest of us and know where everything is and how it works. some of the pictures make me very envious. My hat is off to them.