My Truck Stinks

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Buzz
United States of America

My Truck Stinks

Post by Buzz »

My truck stinks: Like fuel that is.
My garage is high enough that I can park my Pinz indoors. Lately, I have noticed there has been a strong smell of fuel after the door has been closed for a while. I'm beginning to think this is unburnt fuel. Maybe a bad plug or my valves need adjusting? I balanced the carbs and the smell persists. Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks, Buzz
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
krick3tt

truck stinks

Post by krick3tt »

I have had that issue. It was not the carbs.
The leak at the gas inlet was the issue, the tube inside the corrogated rubber cover had come loose.
Had it 'fixed' and now it is leaking again. Just filled the tank so I have to run it a bit to get the gas out before I try to lower the tank and tighten it up. I am hoping that is how it is done. Did not watch the repair so I am not really sure.
I had a Webasto installed and it may also be related to that, not sure.

Every day it is something different. For those that know how to do this repair, any advise is welcome.

Morris
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

I tightened the fuel inlet hose- not tough to do. Just takes a screwdriver and some dish washing liquid to make the outer rubber boot slippery enough to work with.
My truck has started smelling again a few months after a carb rebuild so I thought it might be the paper gasket between the bowl and carb top has soaked up the fuel.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I replaced my fuel pump and filter and I haven't smelled gas since then. I don't know why the difference would be, but I'll take it.
todds112

Post by todds112 »

I think it's just a fact of life with the carbs. I have replaced all the gaskets (smell went away), then replaced a very worn throttle shaft on one carb (smell went away...again). Each time a few months later I start to notice the gas smell again. The screws that secure the throttle base to the upper body always seems to work loose too. PITA is you have to pull the carb to tighten them every time. :roll:
1973 712M