At 1/2 tank I run out of gas.

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I've read through the forum a couple of times!!! The Old BBB's and the yahoo forum once. My bet is that once you drain the tank the problem will magically be fixed. Lots of people have found foreign objects in the tank. Providing you don't have any hose problems. I have never read of any pick up problems with the gas side now on oil side I have read of one braking.
mockingbird812

Post by mockingbird812 »

Thanks for the input. Ken Anderson sent me some very detailed instructions and photos of the tank removal process (if needed). I have noticed a weeping leak where my supply "tube" connects at my gas heater. I tried tightening the clamp, but the leak is still present. BTW, is this narrow, whiteish tube what Swiss Army Vehicle calls a "fuel tube"? I would like to change this tube out to rule it out as the problem I am having.

Thanks,
Sam
'71 710K
mockingbird812

Post by mockingbird812 »

Update: :?

I checked all lines on the suction side of the fuel pump. I decided to replace all rubber fuel lines as I noticed some cracking and lack of flexibility. I took the rubber hose that fits to the pick up fuel line that goes into the gas tank and hooked up my vacuum pump. I had about 3 gallons of gas in the tank at this point (well below the 1/2 tank level where my stalling problems occur). It readily sucked gasoline into the small reservoir which is part of my vacuum pump (brake bleeding vacuum pump). I put everything back together and tried to start the truck with the 3 gallons of gas and it would not start. I ran an alternative gas source directly into the engine's fuel pump and the truck started. I then clamped that source off and hooked up the truck's fuel line. It ran for 4 to 5 minutes and when I increased throttle I noticed more gas coming into my fuel filter (clear) but it was sort of spitting in not flowing in. Is this normal?

What is the name of the fuel line pick up tube (metal that goes into the gas tank? SAV has a "fuel tube" part # 9000908/07 at $24.51.

http://www.pinzgauer.com/parts.php?cat=pinzgauer&id=2

Is this correct if I replace my pickup tube?

Thanks!
Sam
'71 710K
pinzdriver

runs out at 1/2 tank

Post by pinzdriver »

Did you say you have a heater? If you have a heater in your 710k you have two pick up tubes one for the eng and one for the heater.Part number 7121672022 if you pull your tank down and find that is your problum let me know i have a brand new one i never used you have it for half price. I live in phoenix to.
602-739-6522
tony in az 73 pinz 6X6
pinzdoctor is the name,pinz repair is the game!
Ken A

Post by Ken A »

This is just an FYI.

I have a '71 710K (the 134th truck off the line that year) and the Aux heater fuel line was attached to a "T" just before the fuel pump.

My fuel tank only has one pickup tube.

I have found a number of minor changes to '72 and newer 710Ks.

Ken A.
mockingbird812

Post by mockingbird812 »

Tony - thanks for the offer. Will let you know.

Ken - yes I have the same T and only one fuel pick up line going into my gas tank.
Sam
'71 710K
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

You also have the option of repairing the existing pick up once removed. The pipe can be welded or brazed.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I had a driveability issue with my K ,and it wound up being a leaking diaphragm on the fuel pump that supplies the gas heater. It allowed air to be pulled into the fuel line,the pump would rather suck air than fuel. IF you have a " T " in the fuel line to your heater,bypass,pinch off, that and see if the issue goes away. Then the challange is to find a replacement part for the heaters fuel pump if you want to fix that issue. It's just not that cold in the Southwest for a gas heater,but that's just my opinion.
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
mockingbird812

Post by mockingbird812 »

So are the symptoms I described i.e. spitting of fuel into the fuel filter when the throttle was increased, indicative of a pin hole in my pick up tube.

Jim - good to know that they are repairable.

Thanks!!
Sam
'71 710K
mockingbird812

Post by mockingbird812 »

Mark/Ken,

You may be on to something. I do have a gas heater and I did replace the one short fuel line (rubber) that is at the heater between the plastic white fuel line and the fuel tube coming out of the gas heater. it is about 4 " long and I noticed it was weeping at the heater side. I replaced this with the other fuel lines I mentioned in my previous post.

i will pinch off the fuel hose going to the heater pump off of the T fitting and see what happens.

Thanks for your input guys. Your knowledge is impressive.
Sam
'71 710K
mockingbird812

Post by mockingbird812 »

I capped off the gas heater line and will see what happens as I venture below 1/2 tank :shock: . Fuel flow already looks better while the Pinz is idling. You can see the gas heater hose capped off in the background. Thanks again. :)

Sam
'71 710K
mockingbird812

Post by mockingbird812 »

Am just below 1/2 a tank (where my symptoms would have shown up) and all is well. Thanks to all. :D

Any ideas on fixing my heater pump?
Sam
'71 710K