Torque wrench recommendations

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

EvanH

Torque wrench recommendations

Post by EvanH »

With a fleet of two Pinzgauers and several odds and ends of British cars, I'm ready to splurge and buy a good torque wrench.

What is the general bolt torque range for a Pinz? I have heard good things about Snap-On TechWrenches (except for the price...). Any recommendations on a good wrench?

Thanks!

-Evan
todds112

Post by todds112 »

I have a Craftsman, and it's a POS. Plastic lock ring prone to cracking. NOT covered by their handtool guarentee. It was the best I could afford.

If money was no object, I've heard the Snap-ons are really nice and they stand behind them.
1973 712M
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

I use snap on torque wrenches and torque meters. They have been flawless for far to many years to remember. Worth every penny in the long run.
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

I've got 2 SK's one in 3/8" (Mod# SK74026) and 1/2" (Mod# SK74251) and love them. They are marked in NM with Inch Pounds (3/8") and NM with Foot pounds (1/2"), the Pinz manuals are in Newt Meters.

You can find them sometimes at bargain prices on eBay You'll be looking at $200.00 or less for the set.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Whatever you get, make sure it goes from 10ft lbs up to 250 ft lbs .
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Scottie
United States of America

Ditto todds112

Post by Scottie »

My craftsman torque wrench is a pos! the plastic lock broke and now I have no idea what ft/lb I am torquing to. Have not done it yet but will probably replace it with a Snap-on even though I hear that they are not standing behind their tools the way that they used to.

Scottie
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Also make sure it goes from 13.56 Nm to 338.9 Nm :D :roll: :P

I've got a couple of torque wrenches, but I must prefer the fully enclosed Sykes-Pickavant (UK manufactured) "click" unit to my other external bar type.
I was only talking to a mate a few weeks ago about torque wrenches (as blokes do :D ) whilst we "inspected" his new V8 and we both agreed that NORBAR was probably pretty much the "bee's knee's" of units available in Oz at the moment!
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Do not get a single wrench that has a broad range of 10- 250. They are not accurate enough at the lower ends. You should have at least 2 wrenches to cover this range.
Heed

Post by Heed »

Evan,

I have two Mac wrenches. A 1/2" and a 3/8". Both are mechanical. I looked at both the Snap-on offerings and the Mac's when I bought them off of eBay. The Snap-on listings were consistently more expensive than the Mac ones, and I was able to patiently wait for some mint condition Mac's at a great price (other than the exchange rate into Canadian dollars!!).

I was originally attracted to the Tech-wrenches (I'm a guy after all!), but I was worried that the digital would not last nearly as long as the old "tried and true" technology of a rotating collar.

Off the top of my head, my 3/8" wrench has a 10-75 ft.lb. range. I can't remember what range the 1/2" wrench has.

Take a look at the Mac's. I think you will have better value for your pesos.
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!
diesaroo

Post by diesaroo »

Don't have a pinz yet :P , but I have a husky from home depot that has a lifetime warranty unlike the pos craftsman that I had before.

It seems well made also. Another option is the one they sell through griot's garage, it's a little pricey, but it comes with a free lifetime calibrations. All you have to pay is shipping.
But when you own a big chunk of the bloody third world, The babies just come with the scenery.