newbie questions

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

diesaroo

newbie questions

Post by diesaroo »

I've been a lurker for about a couple months now and have learned quite a bit, but have been unable to determine a few things.

First of all, I understand that SAV, CWR, EI, thilo's, goatwerks etc. are the parts suppliers for the pinz in the states, but where do they get their parts from since pinzgauer production has changed hands so frequently lately and possibly ceased under BAE.

I had read that steyr (magna steyr?) still produces parts but in limited quantities and could be very expensive to obtain.

I have an older mercedes and know about the cost and availability of parts for it, if someone could comment/compare parts cost and availability that would be helpful.

In short, I'm aprospective pinz owner and would like to gauge the parts cost and availability for the long term.

Eric
But when you own a big chunk of the bloody third world, The babies just come with the scenery.
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I can't really tell you much about the supply chain in the US, but in other parts of the world (including Australia) Magna Steyr are quite happy to supply all Pinzgauer componentry direct (I believe they won't supply to individual US owners)....for me, I generally find this the quickest, easiest and cheapest option for new parts, although suppliers in the US, UK and Europe are also a possibility.
Dennis (LinDen, USA) has helped me out with some hard to get secondhand parts from time to time. (thanks Dennis :D )

AT/BAE NEVER supplied 710/712 componentry, ONLY 716/718 parts (and even then getting parts for a privately owned TD vehicles was extremely difficult according to some).

I guess the Pinzgauer will eventually end up as the Haflinger...that is as some components become hard to get, small batches will be sourced/manufactured by various parts suppliers.
The Haflinger has been out of production for over 30 years, but I can still get any part I require one way or the other. :D

PS I think you'd find it harder to get parts for that Tatra rather than the Pinny :wink:
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
diesaroo

Post by diesaroo »

Ah yes, but what a vehicle! 8wd, air-cooled v12 turbodiesel, swing axles... 8)

Back to pinzgauers, well that is comforting to know that magna steyr is still producing parts. I thought they did after reading on your webpage that a few pinnys have been rehabbed back at the steyr factory. For a handsome sum I might imagine.

What things would you look at personally on a 712m pinz for a pre-purchase inspection? Any weak points?

I also have read some about the exc. II spider gear? upgrade mostly through the pictorials on thilo's website. Would you consider this a must do or a "good" to do at some point upgrade? Thilo apparently thinks it's pretty critical, although others dissent.

Thanks in advance Peter!
But when you own a big chunk of the bloody third world, The babies just come with the scenery.
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Ah yes, but what a vehicle! 8wd, air-cooled v12 turbodiesel, swing axles...
Ahh yes, a nice vehicle...I particularly liked the ones they setup and used in the Pari-Dakar some years ago.

I know a guy who owns an 813 here (unfortunately he lives close to the recent bushfires, so I hope he and his family are OK and that the vehicle survived).
Years ago there was an event run by the Suzuki Club where two vehicles had to travel together on a prescribed hard 4WD route and tackle various tasks along the way.
There was nothing in the rules to say that vehicles had to be "independent" so we had planned to put my Haflinger in the back of the Tatra and then everyone would pile in the Tatra's cab and off we would go! :D
....unfortunately the event was called off that year due to fires or whatever and has never returned! :cry:

I don't know what a rehab Pinny was worth, but I daresay it wasn't cheap!

As regards Pinzgauer weak points.....hmm, I was asked this by a new local owner only recently.
Nothing major stands out directly (like stub axles on Land Rovers, or front diffs on late model Tojo Cruisers, etc), but I'd be checking the brakes, body (rust in the "top hat" channels etc) loose steering, front swivel pins for bush wear, the exhaust for leaks and the suspension check-straps and bolts etc.
I don't belive the exc II diff problem is that bad, but others do...It's a point of debate :D .....it's particularly relative to the vehicles past servicing and use.

I daresay some others on the forum will chime in with other things they think are imporatant to check.

Good Luck with the purchase!
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

texas pinzgauer

Pinz Parts

Post by texas pinzgauer »

I only been at this (Pinz ownership) for about 3 years but I've never sensed that there were availability problems with any parts I might need. You noted all of the top suppliers but I suspect there are others. I bought my truck from Thilo and I like him a lot. Others have their favorites too.

With the internet, I don't think I would have any problem sourcing parts from any of these firms you noted but the handful of others that we've become aware of on the forum that are European based.

Now tell us more about your Tatra!!!!
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
diesaroo

Post by diesaroo »

Sorry didn't mean to imply that I owned a tatra "kolos" by my avatar. I'm just interested in all things designed by Ledwinka. Maybe someday... :P

Paris-Dakar: What a mad, amazing, grueling event! I believe tatra trucks still compete although the the russian trucks seem to be taking the awards as of late.

Peter--thanks for the pointers! I may ask you a few more related questions in the future, as long as your patience allows. :wink:

TexasPinz--thanks for the shared experience...I imagine your truck came equipped with new avle boots and the exc. II upgrade. Do you feel that you paid any sort of premium over other dealers by buying an upgraded truck?
texas pinzgauer

newbie questions

My truck has those upgrades I believe. I paid a premium and I got a premium truck. When I went looking, I wanted something ready to go, not something with a long list of "to dos". That's the sort of vehicle that he deals in.

There is no "rule" but most folks have a photo of their truck as their avatar from what I can tell.

I guess i could put up a picture of a 911 GT3 RD then!
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I don't think it matters what you have as your avatar! (Mind you I made the same assumption as Texas Pinzgauer about Diesaroo's Tatra)

After all, I don't think Dave Dunn is really that hairy!

...or that Vince is really that skinny!
Last edited by Profpinz on Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

texas pinzgauer

newby

Good point Peter!
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Profpinz wrote: After all, I don't think Dave Dunn is really that hairy!
You're right Peter, the hat covers a bald spot :roll:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
diesaroo

new face

Post by diesaroo »

Well just to avoid any further/future confusion I changed it to the vehicle's engine. happy wheelin'! 8)
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Yeah but I do run around butt assed naked :shock: :twisted: Hey it's hot here in Vegas.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Miles,

Thanks for the visual.

Are you going to be installing a dance pole in the back of your Pinz?? :shock:

-Evan
diesaroo

maintenance schedule

Post by diesaroo »

Hello all!

Still trying to get a better feel as to what ownership would be like. Being an older vehicle I would expect maintenance would be more involved than on a newer vehicle.

Could anyone give me an idea as to what the maintenance schedule is on these vehicles?

Thanks
texas pinzgauer

old Pinz VS new whatever

You've going to get lots of responses from the guys on the forum who have owned multiple Pinzs and for sure for much longer than me.

I think your mantenance question is a function of how much use the truck is going to get. If you're doing serious ofroading every weekend, stuff is going to get torn up and service intervals will need to increase. If it's an occasional dirt road trip, service is minimal.

My uses are somewhere in the middle (probably more like the later than the former :oops: and I've had no major issues in 3 years of ownership.

This is a terrific "toy" but I don't know if I'd trust it as a daily driver even though I know two guys here in the Houston area who use their as such.

If you want an extremely capable but "mature" truck, you want a Pinzgauer.

If you want easy, you should consider an FJ Cruiser or something else that's curent vintage with robust dealer support etc.

Either option works. Which one works best for you?
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold