712M to 712DK Body Conversion Details Sought

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

undysworld
Norway

712M to 712DK Body Conversion Details Sought

Post by undysworld »

Hi,
A couple of us here are busy repairing rusted areas on a 710M. We're replacing the 6 brackets which hold the fuel tank/jerry can/tool & battery boxes onto the body, as well as the sections of body where they attach. It's broadened my imagination a bit, and I'm dreaming of taking the saw to my own 712M.

What I'm considering is creating a rear cabin extending just over 6' rearward from the bulkhead, with hard sides and roof. This would entail adding 2 rear side doors to allow for a 3-wide, forward facing seat which could fold down for sleeping. I'd leave the rear of the truck as an open truck bed, similar to the DK model.

Scott's site shows a "710S" that they created from a 710K with rear doors like I desire:
http://www.expeditionimports.zoovy.com/ ... on_pearle/

My questions concern the structural requirements of adding the two rear doors to an M body. The M has two rectangular tubes which run under the rear seats (located where the seat mounting bolts are found), and the "rim stiffening" channel running around the bed. The Parts Manual (pg. 60) shows the "Entrance, lateral" channel drops down below the door frame (on a K), but doesn't detail what happens with the rectangular tubes. Do these also drop down below the floor at the door openings?

I know there's other logistics to be concerned with, like where to put the fuel tanks, batteries, etc., but this structural question has me stuck for now. Can anyone provide me with drawings or photos of the details of K rear door structures?

Maybe better yet, has anyone got a line on a K parts body that I might be able to cannibalize for parts?

Thanks in advance.

Paul Underwood
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Paul
Though you could add the rear side doors to your M platform, it would be much better to find a 712K platform and swap everything over ( there were some of these for sale in the past).

As you had said, Scott's 710s were made from a 710K, much in the same fashion the Pick Cow was made.... everything is bolt-on, except for a custom top.

The fuel tank and battery box stay in place, and you lose the tool box and jerry can holder to the rear footwell for the door. I have seen where the jerry can holder was placed under the rear door cutout ( but, I am not fond of that idea :wink: )

Dave
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)