dash wiring ?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

norcal pinz
United States of America

dash wiring ?

Post by norcal pinz »

behind and pluged into the dash there is a round metal thing just to the upper left of the clutch res. what is it
710M 1972
710k 1974
Ugo

Post by Ugo »

Norcal, if you mean a round thing about 2" diameter, it's the ignition ballast resistor. Circuitwise, it's placed is series with the ignition coil to lower the voltage to about 16V (if I remember).
The ballast is shorted out when starter button is pressed to give more kick to the coil and have more powerful sparks; it is put in series when starter button is released.

Regards,
Ugo
1990 716k
Torino, Italy
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Sounds to me like it is the 4500 rpm module? mounted on the body or dash?
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

It's likely the flasher relay or the ballast resistor. To verify, check for a wiring schematic on the top of the relay case. If no schematic, but instead a thumb screw then you are looking at the ballast resistor. It's kinda hard to judge by your placement description. And by description it sounds nothing like the rpm mod.
Heed

Post by Heed »

I would go with the flasher relay if it is in that vicinity and it is round. The other is what I would describe as somewhat "oblong-ish"(?)
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

The typical ballast resistor looks like a metal tin of skoal/chewing tobacco. It's even almost the same size. Inside they have a ceramic element with a resistive wire that looks like a spring wrapped around it. [/list]
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

My best discription of these comonents:

Ballast resistor: Looks like a "bicycle bell" with a knurled thumbscrew in the middle.

Flasher relay: taller than it is arouund, sits vertically on a bracket off the body panel.

4500 rpm module: black plastic box somewhat larger than a deck of cards (about 1" larger in all dimensions).

Most of these things are to the RIGHT of the clutch resevoir (and above it); you may be describing the small "cigarette lighter socket" by the four way flasher button. This socket is an auxillary power outlet.

Jim M.
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Jim you have your resevoirs mixed up. The one deep in the dash is clutch and the one closest to the door connected to the booster is the brake res
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Jim you have your resevoirs mixed up.
(In my best "Goofy" voice) "Duhh, Yuck, yuck, you are right!" :oops:

That is what I get for trying to remember what's under the dash without looking. Thanks for the correction.

Jim M.
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Not like it's not easy to mix it up. Hard to beleive they went to such extents to retain the front end cosmetics just for the brakes. Especially since unimogs have been using remote boosters since the same general time period
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

dokatd wrote:front end cosmetics
Never thought I would ever read these words about a Pinzgauer... :lol:

Jan
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

thanks guys