Staun Beadlocks

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Lorenz,

Your application actually sounds like exactly what the Staun beadlock is intended to help with.

Another way to think of it is a tire within a tire. The Staun "tire," inflated with the tube, is a very low profile tire with no tread. It exerts lateral pressure on the beads and none on the "real" tire tread, unless the real tire is almost fully deflated, in which case the beadlock acts something like a run-flat. There are two valve stems, one to inflate the Staun to a constant 50 PSI and you vary the pressure in the actual tire through the second valve stem.

A picture is probably the best way to see what is going on with the tube. There is a cross section drawing at the page:

http://www.staunproducts.com/harry_home.php

Is this your video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl4CyBzQa_E

if so, you make rolling a 712 look easy!!!

-Evan
Lorenz

Post by Lorenz »

Hallo Peter - Do you come to Vienna to the 50 years Haflinger Meeting?

No, its not my Pinzi making a roll, but it was Peter a teampartner of mine last year in romania - 5 Pinzis passed this seqtions without trouble seconds before.

I did understand the taktik of the beadlocks. But why are you still using a normal tube in the Pinzgauer rim.

The Pinzi rim is tubetype because it has no doubble hump, but with the beadlock the tire can't come from the rim either?

Lorenz
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Lorenz,

The tube is part of the beadlock. It is not in addition to the beadlock. Inflating the inner tube creates pressure inside the shell/casing of the beadlock, which in turn presses the beads of the existing tire to the rim. So the tube is inside the case of the beadlock, which is entirely inside the tire. Without the inner tube the beadlock casing would be flopping around useless. Think of it as a tire with a tube inside a tubeless tire. You can reduce the pressure of the outer tire without lowering the pressure of the inner tire. So the BEAD of the outer tire is being held to the rim with 50 PSI by the inner tire, while the BODY of the outside tire is aired down to, say, 15 PSI.

Over here in the USA most of us get rid of the Maloya tubed tires and install tubeless. A few run conventional tubes in the normally tubeless tires. I have read that the inner surface of a tubeless tire may be rough, and chafe or rub through an inner tube causing a leak.

The shell of the Staun beadlock keeps the inner tube in the center of the tire and keeps the inner tube from contacting the inner surface of the tire.

So we are not using a "normal" inner tube, as in an inner tube that completly fills the interior space of the tire. The tube is part of the beadlock. And since the Pinzgauer rim doesn't have a safety bead, the beads easily slip (as you know more than anybody). Your application would make you the poster child for this product!

All of this assumes that we are communicating correctly and I understand what you are not understanding...translations are a great way to generate confusion!

I wish I could read German so I could follow the journal on your website. You have pictures of some very impressive off-road rigs!

-Evan
Lorenz

Post by Lorenz »

Hallo Evan,

I will discuss with the german importer of the beadlocks ...

But the next holliday in the sand could be with a 712M of a friend with tire pressure tubes through the axles and he needs even more strange valves ...

I will send you pictures - also we will dry a Ford Transit 1996 Rim which fits to the Pinzgauer and it's tubeless.

Lorenz