Staun Beadlocks

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

EvanH

Staun Beadlocks

Post by EvanH »

I picked up some Staun beadlocks. The installation instructions are pretty straightforward, exept that they have the extra hole for the inner tube drilled near the center of the rim. For most rims this would be near the face of the rim, but in the case of the Pinzgauer drilling in the center would put the inner tube valve stem close to the brake drum.

The review posted by Cory Gray on the Staun website:

http://www.staunproducts.com/reviews.php (bottom of the very long page)

shows the second hole in the same part of the rim as the first hole. The question with doing it this way is how to install the inner tube to this positon without twisting the inner tube into a contortion it wasn't meant to take.

Is the solution to use a different tube with a stem more on the side? Or to use the stock inner tube and hope for the best?

Thanks for any and all help!

-Evan Hillman
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

G'Day Evan, I've have Beadlocks fitted (they are the same) for many years now, and I drilled the holes on the same plane as the orginal valve stem wheel hole.... Send me an email if you want pics!
Like you I debated the positioning of the stem for some time and when I spoke to Roger Smith (the Aussie manufacturer/re-designer ...they are based on a Swedish concept :roll: ) we eventually decided that despite the position, it was the best option.
I should say that I have had a bit of trouble with a few tubes over the years as the filler neck moulding did tend to de-laminate from the tube (I guess because of the severe "bending" in the location) on his early tubes, but Roger's latest "offerings" seemed to have solved the problem.

Overall I think they are a brillant concept and I just wish I'd thought of it first! :wink: :D
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Peter,

Thanks for the response. I also got a response from my Staun dealer that affirmed your answer. So I'm ready to rock n' roll on the beadlocks, after I sandblast and paint the rims.

Is anyone interested in a pictographic tale of my installation experience?

-Evan
chacaocop1

Your web page

Post by chacaocop1 »

Sure! I guess if you post the pictures in your page should be more than enough.

I was navigating through it and you have done some cool things to your truck. Dennis used to service my truck as well.

Whenever you do it, let us know so we can check your page.

Saludos.
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

P.S. - I'm glad I'm not a Jeeper:

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/general-chat ... stall.html

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/general-chat ... ots-2.html

And CHACAOCOP - you have talked me into it!

I was out at Dennis William's shop the other weekend. I was able to strip a lot of useful parts from a wrecked 710K. Dennis has always been very good to me - I'm sure partly because I pay my bills. You will hear horror stories about every dealer at one time or another. What is REALLY interesting is to hear the dealer side of the story. I usually find the dealer story makes more sense, which is to say there are some people who will use and abuse the kindness of anyone. Speaking of which, I have an ex-fiancee who would be happy to use and abuse any willing man. Any takers???

-Evan
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

EvanH wrote:P.S. - I'm glad I'm not a Jeeper:

Speaking of which, I have an ex-fiancee who would be happy to use and abuse any willing man. Any takers???

-Evan
Is she hawt? We need pics

:shock:
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

pinzwheeling wrote:
EvanH wrote:P.S. - I'm glad I'm not a Jeeper:

Speaking of which, I have an ex-fiancee who would be happy to use and abuse any willing man. Any takers???

-Evan
Is she hawt? We need pics

:shock:
:lol: :lol:

Evan, You seem to pick the wrong ones. You sure there isn't a exhaust leak? :shock:
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Well,

here is how she looked before I fixed the exhaust leak:

And here is how she looked after I fixed the leak:

Maybe carbon monoxide is the secret to true love?

-Evan
Last edited by EvanH on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

That first girl is disgusting. You can see all of her bone structure... who wants that?

Now the second picture is HAWWWTTT! Got her digits?
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

'Course she's Hawwwttt - she's well insulated.

I just don't get that cold.
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

I just finished mounting my first Staun beadlock. I think I have an understanding of why some people say mounting the beadlock is a piece of cake and others say it is impossible.

I'm going to do a detailed writeup on my web site, have the Staun rep look it over for technical accuracy then I'll post the link here.

Only five more wheels and beadlocks to go! :shock:

-Evan
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I think I have an understanding of why some people say mounting the beadlock is a piece of cake and others say it is impossible.
I guess it's like most things, in that you become accustomed to it as you gain experience.
I put new airbags on the rear of my Range Rover a few weeks back.....the first one took me about 50 minutes, but the second one was done in less than 10.....It's the same with Beadlocks, but after the SIXTH one, you should really be flying! :wink:
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Well, I have been waiting for a brilliant rollout of my completed website to present this page. The brilliant rollout still hasn't happened, so here is the Staun-specific page:

http://home.comcast.net/~hillmanpinz/71 ... dlocks.htm

If anyone expresses particular interest in the remaining half-assed pages, I will most likely be more motivated to update sooner than later!

-Evan
Lorenz

Post by Lorenz »

Hi,

my racingteam (teamsaurer.com) had a lot of problems racing with Pinzgauers in sand dunes in Tunesia.

2.000 km racing - 11 punctures - mostly with 1.2 bar pressure (cold), too many sand between rim and tire and the tire went turning on the rim, the tube also and the valve is ribbed of. (no chance to get through this sand with more pressure) Also the "rim secure lip" at the BFG 255/85 R 16 KM1 is rubbish for the sand, because it is one of the main reasons for sand getting shiffeld into the rim. (1 Kilo Sand after 400 km in the Front Rim)

Has anybody tryed to put in the Stauns without Tube? If the tire can't move from the rim anymore, why put a Tube into the tire?

Best regards from Germany

Lorenz

P.S. Sorry for my bad English
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

If the tire can't move from the rim anymore, why put a Tube into the tire?
The tube is an integral part of the beadlock design.
It's not a "tube" in the general sense of a tyre tube, but rather this tube is what pushes the rims of the beadlock bag out against the tyre beads and hence holds them in contact with the wheel rim.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover