Exhaust fumes

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

mike43

Exhaust fumes

Post by mike43 »

I have an exhaust fume smell coming into the cab when driving. Have just fitted new stainless steel exhaust, thinking that this would cure it but it is an ongoing problem. Has anyone else had this problem and know where it is coming from? Seems to be worse when you open the side window.
krick3tt

exhaust fumes

Post by krick3tt »

I have had the problem, still do on ocasion, everything down there is stock. I don't smell it but my favorite passenger does...'Don't you smell that?'...What? ...'Can't you smell that? and so it goes. She does not really like to ride in the pinz, can you guess? I think the aerodynamics of the machine can lead to issues.

Also get a gas smell on occasion, but I have a leak at the fuel fill tube so I think the smell is reasonable. It isn't from the carbs.
todds112

Post by todds112 »

After my stock muffler died, I had a custom exhaust run all the way out the back of the truck. Made a big difference in the exhaust smell. I think the stock location has alot to do with the odor. My header bolts loosen frequently too. I usually notice the change in the sound when they do.

Obviously, check your joints for leaks. Also make sure your heat exchanger is in good shape. If the internals corrode, you could be pumping exhaust right into your cabin...not good.
1973 712M