What type of engine oil?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

mike43

What type of engine oil?

Post by mike43 »

Have got 10w40 Mobil S semi-synthetic oil to put in the engine. Is this Ok?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

30 wt or 20-50 wt is recomended. 10-40 is a bit thin for an air cooled engine.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
pinztrek
Barbados

Re: What type of engine oil?

Post by pinztrek »

mike43 wrote:Have got 10w40 Mobil S semi-synthetic oil to put in the engine. Is this Ok?
I agree with Jim, 20w50 is what I run. I use Castrol GTX. Also be aware- many folks discover new leaks with synthetic.

Seems the increased solvent action either dissolves gunk that was keep seals from leaking or just slips through the seals depending on the theory you believe. Either way, does seem to leak more based on reports.

I am much more selective about oil for my diesels, but have not seen any substantiated wear issues (good or bad) with different oil mfg's in the pinz other than the base viscosity selection (IE: 20w50)

Have fun,

Alan
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I also agree. Go with 20w50 non-synthetic motor oil. I have had bad results whenever I have tried anything different.
The only exception is in a fully rebuilt engine with new seals.
Michael J. Fodor

oils

Post by Michael J. Fodor »

Short and sweet, check out Shell Rotella Diesel, several years ago a camshaft manufacture lost several cams in testing. In has been determined that new oils are formulated for roller camshafts.
I have put the Rotella oil in the pinz for several years, this winter at -25 with windchills at -40 + the pinz started and ran when everything else would not.
comp cams recommends this oil in all engines that have had flat tappet cams installed... The pinz engines have been " broken in " for many years, you would be surprised, you can tell the difference.
Try it and see if I am wrong, not the first time.
texas pinzgauer

oil

Post by texas pinzgauer »

I'm runing straight 30W and I like Castrol products.

I thought synthetics were a big no no? Same with multi-weights?
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
buzzz

Post by buzzz »

I also use 30wt castrol HD hope thats the right oil. I have a few small seeps and just put in some engine stop leak from sta-bil I hope I havent done the wrong thing.
Buzzz
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

According to our local race-car mechanic, his VIth Commandment is, "Thou shalt only use Castrol 10W30 oil".

His other "Commandments" have nothing to do with Pinzgauers (so I'll spare you). But I've found the rest of them to be correct, so I have no reason to doubt him regarding oil.
OhioPinz

Post by OhioPinz »

Your race car mechanic is not wrong about 10-30 GTX, he's just got his head tuned to racing engines and or small high revers.

20-50wt. offers higher sheer strength, and protects the engine in uneven heating conditions better.
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I tend to use the recommended spec, plus a little bit, given our temperatures and so go for a 20W-60 non-synthetic oil.

I use Penrite (which is an Australian Company whose products are well respected in the Classic and Vintage car scene .... I understand they are also sold in the US and Europe) and have done for years, but prior to that I was a Valvoline man! ... can't say I've ever used Castrol products.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com