How long does a pinz engine/drivetrain last?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

surftodd

How long does a pinz engine/drivetrain last?

Post by surftodd »

Three questions for some veterans...

1) How many miles are one your vehical? What is the average life of the engine and drive train...I am think of purchasing a 712M that has flipped the odometer once....Plan to put bout 5000 miles on it a year myself

2) Are there many pinzs out there with under 10k miles? What are the chances of finding a 70's truck with so few miles?

3) Is there a way to track down information from the army on the use of a particular pinz using the vin numbers?
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

1) 100,000 Km +/-. (My odo's broken currently) I'd heard 300,000 km was the design spec. for the life of the vehicle. ? 5k m/yr. seems like a lot to me, but in Wis. we don't drive 'em much during the winter, due to salty roads. (Condition is probably more important than age, IMHO.)

2) Never heard of any. About the same as for any 1970's era vehicle, especially when there were limited numbers made in the first place - pretty slim, I'd guess.

3) Never heard of any, save for info that may come with the vehicle when you get it. But there's others here who can maybe speak to that better.
psychoman

Post by psychoman »

2 - Some of the 70s and ealry 80s vehicles in Europe have extremely low mileage - under 50,000km common - many less than that.

3 - Mine was a fresh release from the Swiss army and came complete with its driver's book, accident forms, the whole story! Nice bit of history. But I guess I was lucky.
It aint what you drive, its the way that you drive it...
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

To give an example of what Psychoman mentions about Pinzes with low mileage in Europe, here is what was offered on a swiss website some days ago: a '74 710k with 25'000 km (about 16k miles if I'm correct).

http://auto.fr.ricardo.ch/acheter/vehic ... 564759182/

Now as mentionned above, the condition is much more important. My '72 710M came with 44'000 km on the odometer but the rear of the body was completely rust rotten... on the other hand the 710k on the link above looks like it's in mint condition...

IMHO, very few Pinz left the Swiss army with less than 10'000 miles.

Jan
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

I like these from Austria-
http://www.camo.co.at/fahrzeuge/k_diashow.asp?Lfdnr=200

4500 to 11500 km's on them.
pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

how long

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

We had 2 of these Austrian pinzes through our hands, they were rebuilt by the steyr factory starting with a new platform, they were in absolutely mint condition.
surftodd

Post by surftodd »

Thanks for the feedback guys! It is good to have a little more knowledge of the Pinz. The ones in Austria look great, but I am in the USA.

It is good to hear that they are designed for 300,000 + mileage