Back-up Light Switch Installation

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

712 Walt

Back-up Light Switch Installation

Post by 712 Walt »

Bought the parts for a back-up light switch. Proceeded with installation. Removed the 900.1985 plug (index 2-01-23) and found contact bolt, part 710.1.21539.1 (index 2-01-17). This part has a 4.0 mm diameter pin that projects 9.0 mm from the body of the contact bolt. I discovered the circlip loose on the pin. The switch supplied by Swiss Army Vehicles will not install because of the inteferance of the pin. The contact bolt supplied by Swiss Army Vehicles is bored to accept the pin on the switch. I tried, and failed, to remove the original contact bolt by pulling on the pin. Is a transmission tear-down necessary to remove the old and install the new contact bolt? What am I missing?
Walt
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

A few words, Vise grips and 2 screwdrivers. The pin is corroded or mushroomed. Clamp the vise grip onto the pin and pry with screwdrivers.
Plain and simple :roll:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
712 Walt

Post by 712 Walt »

Jim,
Many thanks. The parts shematic is a little vague on the contactor bolt and I was worried about the bigger hammer solution. Your directions worked like a charm. Switch assembled and tested okay.
Thanks again,
Walt
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I installed a 24v utility light facing backwards as a reverse/work light. I simply installed a plain light and ran a wire straight to the unused switch on the left dash (next to the flasher lights switch). The switch is meant for the aux. power accessories but it's now my revers light switch!
Cheap, simple, and you can turn it on any time you need light behind your rig!
Ugo

Post by Ugo »

On my ex-710K I used both switches: the one on the gearbox, and the pull switch on the left dash. Wired in parallel. The switch on the left dash was reserved to tailgaters! They slowed down and respected appropriate headway when I turned the backup light on ...

Ugo
1990 716K
Torino, Italy