springs ?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

norcal pinz
United States of America

springs ?

Post by norcal pinz »

i noticed today that my bump stops, on the front both sides , inside the spring are like almost touching and there is no weight in the vehicle do i need springs?
710M 1972
710k 1974
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Here is a photo of mine, cleaned up and repainted, so it's easier to see the parts.

These are my original springs, they were only 1/4 inch shorter than my new set, so I just reused the old ones. Amazing what bead blasting and some epoxy paint does to old springs, they look better than my new ones.

I had to compress them even further than just the weight of the chassis, in order to get the limiting strap on. As you can see in the photo the strap is tight.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

This was something I was wondering about too. My 712 is almost sitting on the bumpstops up front. I was considering using rover coils as they seem to be the same inside diameter. I can get many different spring rates and lengths in the rover world, vs the factory pinz springs. But what is the going price for a set of new pinz front coils. I used to have piles of rover coils in every possible weight and length, but i tossed them a couple years back, would have made for some fun testing.
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Keep up with the pictures, Miles - I love the feeling of jealousy! :roll:

-Evan
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

New run about $300.00 each, Used run about $135.00 each. If you go the used route be sure they measure the springs for you, thou that does not mean they are still tight.

Also the factory springs should have markings on them, in red paint dots for front springs and green paint dots for rear springs.

From Repair manual Section-N, Page-2

@ a spring length of 246mm, Height of spring unloaded should be 380mm.
1 red dot = 7535 - 7740 N
2 red dots = 7750 - 7946 N
3 red dots = 7956 - 8162 N

@ a spring lenght of 240mm, Height of spring unloaded should be 342mm.
1 green dot = 3590 -3708 N
2 green dots = 3718 - 3836 N
3 green dots = 3846 - 3963 N

Hope that helps, Miles

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
springhill

Post by springhill »

Miles,
You need to get your bottom strap lined straight up or it will rip out of the side. I ruined a brand new strap because I didn't have it on right.
Haven't broken one of these!
milesdzyn wrote:Here is a photo of mine, cleaned up and repainted, so it's easier to see the parts.

These are my original springs, they were only 1/4 inch shorter than my new set, so I just reused the old ones. Amazing what bead blasting and some epoxy paint does to old springs, they look better than my new ones.

I had to compress them even further than just the weight of the chassis, in order to get the limiting strap on. As you can see in the photo the strap is tight.

Miles
"Growing Old is Mandatory
Growing Up is Optional"
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Springhill...Will do, I was trying to force the flex inward instead of outward into the tire. I will switch over to the Nylon limiting straps when I burn through the originals and my spares, I think they are the way to go.

Miles

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

Who sells those vinyl limiting straps?
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

On the topic of limit strap orientation. The factory manual suggests that you install them so that they bow inward rather than outward towards the tire. Too much, and it will shred. Go with the nylon upgrades. Tougher and WAY cheaper!

You can get them from OK OFFROAD
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

lets talk about the gap between the bump stops on both those pics. thats what im talking about mine look like the ones almost touching need new springs?
710M 1972
710k 1974
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Check the camber of the wheel. Is toe in or toe out?
andy

Post by andy »

chacaocop1 wrote:Who sells those vinyl limiting straps?
Carlos, if ya don't get an answer soon check the archives. There have been several sources listed in the past.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
springhill

Re: springs ?

Post by springhill »

Sorry about the hijack! Yes, you do need new springs. Mine were almost touching--I carry a lot of weight.

norcal pinz wrote:i noticed today that my bump stops, on the front both sides , inside the spring are like almost touching and there is no weight in the vehicle do i need springs?
Growing Up is Optional"
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Springhill I remember reading your past post on your spring there is no way they are factory springs the ends aren't tapered. I've been told that when some else tried to run springs like yours they would come off the ball on occasion. Have you had any experience with this?
springhill

Post by springhill »

Erik,
I haven't had any trouble with these springs. They were very stiff for a while, but have softened up just right. I got them from SAV.

john
Growing Up is Optional"